Look 2 goggle fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ysuboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am very new to the sport and have recently finished my 2 pool sessions for my OW certification. The gear I bought, recommended through my lds, seems to be great high quality stuff that gets good reviews and generally well viewed so I am psyched to know they will not steer me wrong with future needs, or should I say wants and must haves. My first pool session went without a hitch and I was pleased how well everything worked, fit, etc. My second day everything was the same except for I noticed a little difference with my goggles. I felt like the nose pocket was pushing up on the bottom of my nose. It was so much that I almost felt like I had to keep readjusting it and after the pool session was done the bottom of my nose was a little sore. I talked to the lds and the guy said that the mask I have might be a little too low-volume for me. I am of italian decent so I do have the iconic beak. He told me we could look at other goggles and swap mine out, but I really like the ones I got and am curious if I might be keeping the strap too high in the back or maybe the mask too tightly against my face that lead to that problem? I will clarify again, it is in face the bottom of my nose (nostril area) where I feel the pressure, not the end, not the sides, or the bridge. If the title of the thread did not give it away, they are the Aqua Lung Look 2 goggles.

Any suggestions, help or tips you guys could give me would be great. I cannot be the first person to ever encounter this problem before so I am sure there is a solution. I am going to fiddle around with them on my next few dives when I do my instructor-led dives to complete my certification but I was hoping to see if anyone could give me any other ideas to try other than the ones I am already contemplating (ie lowering strap, loosening strap).

Thank you in advance guys!

Congratulations on choosing to start this wonderful ( and somewhat expensive) sport/hobby!

First of all they are usually referred to as "masks". Masks are one of the hardest gear to fit. There is this test where you put it on without the straps inhale - and see if it holds by suction alone. One common mistake is that the mask is too far up such that the bottom of the pocket is up against your nostrils. This causes the mask to flood when you pinch it to equalize. Masks are really personal fit. I went through 5 masks (notable are the Scubapro crystal Vu and frameless and the Aqualung Micromask) before I finally found the right one. Believe it or not it is a 20$ generic frameless mask. I was so happy I bought 3 of them. My point is that it is very personal and you should not limit yourself to one shop/brand - as with other gear. This forum is also very helpful.

If you have a prominent nose I think you should look at the Cressi* line. I have the opposite problem - I have small nose and found the Cressi ones to have the biggest nose pockets.

I hope this helps!

*I am not affiliated with nor do I sell Cressi gear.

I appreciate the input and will definitely refine my nomenclature as I do not want to give too much of an appearance of my skill level :wink:. My Lds does sell cressi, but they seem to not be fond of it, I might have to source elsewhere to get one which will be tricky given I cannot test it. I actually did test it in the store as you suggested and it feels great, even the first day in the water it felt awesome. Other people were swapping theirs out and I was confident that I made the right choice because it felt so well. I am not sure what happened that second day though? I am not sure if its because I had it on longer, we were in deeper water for longer, if I accidentally adjusted it unbeknownst to me or??

As I said though, I will look into that line and see if I can find some reviews or remarks about their fitting my physical attributes a little better. Thank you!

I see a lot of people making the comment you did about being affiliated, is that a big issue on this forum? Is there a lot of fanboy's of certain products?

It might just be an adjustment problem. The mask may be riding too high. You can take one of those tiny convex car mirrors (convex blind spot mirror) and see how your mask looks underwater. If you are always head up the buoyancy of the air within the mask also tends too pull it up. Another thing I can think of is mask squeeze.

Most often the strap is too tight, try a couple clicks less tension. Have your instructor check it. Have fun. Dive safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Try loosening it a bit, and adjust downwards, easy first steps. I always suggest that once you've found the mask that works, buy 3 as they are sure to be discontinued. Best of luck and enjoy this new underwater world!

Most often the strap is too tight, try a couple clicks less tension. Have your instructor check it. Have fun. Dive safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you are always head up the buoyancy of the air within the mask also tends too pull it up. Another thing I can think of is mask squeeze.
Which this would make a lot of sense because we were vertical virtually the entire time since we were going over drills. I will do as you guys suggest, ask my instructor, and adjust the straps. Also I guess after my certification is done, do some regular dives where I will be horizontal before I dub these as backups. Again, thank you all for your help!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom