look for a light around $30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firedogut

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a light for about $30.00. Its fora trip to florida for 8 days for the springs. IT will NOT be used for cave diving. just to look around the carven and such.

i can rent one for $24 for the week but if i can buy one for under 30 i would perfer that

i was looking at

and

what do you think

Ikelite PCa ... takes six AA batteries and gives you a nice, bright (7.2W) beam. They can be purchased at most LDS for about $25.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would stay away from “pistol grip” lights as they are very bulky to pack and to attach to your BC when not in use. I have a Nemo 4-C that I bought before I knew better that I now use it solely as a loaner.

Based on your description of “occasional use,” how you carry it will be important as you won’t likely want it in your hand most of the time. I think you would be happier with something shaped more like a traditional flashlight, with an attachment point on the back like a Pelican Super Saber for instance. Add a SS swivel snap and then snap it to a d-ring when not in use.

Mike

P.S. Have fun in Florida!

The Nemo and Sunlight are OK. I would stay away from the Ikelite PCa: it does not have flood capability, which is what you really want for your application. Also consider the Princeton Tec Surge: very compact, 7.5W and both flood and narrow beam capability. It also works with only 4 AA batteries (although it then becomes positively buoyant).

You mentions "looking around the cavern". If you are going to Ginnie and are not cavern cert. you are not allowed to carry a light. Just thought I'd let you know.
Al

I'll second the vote for Princeton Tec Surge. It's brighter than my Shockwave II (15W, 8C), but the spot is smaller. ScubaRon, how do you change from flood to narrow beam on Surge?

ScubaAl:
You mentions "looking around the cavern". If you are going to Ginnie and are not cavern cert. you are not allowed to carry a light. Just thought I'd let you know.
Al
Ginnie told me if i'm diving in the main springs a light is ok......just can't go to Devil's Eye, Devil's Ear or Devil Spring (Little Devil).

in the main spring the main cave is blocked off. that is why you can have a light.

Halogen lamp vs a Xenon lamp.....big deal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom