Lookin for an August Charter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StevenB

Reaction score
Hey Wreckers,

I am an experienced Oregon diver that will be in the Chicago area around August 10 to 13 for my niece's wedding and was hoping to squeeze in a couple dives in the area while I am there. Probably the 12th will need to be my dive day. This is my first time in the area, so any recommendations on shops to rent tanks, and charters, or sites not to missed would be appreciated?

Thanks
Steve B

I'm really shocked that no one has responded to you yet! This is a pretty common question.

The immediate Chicago area is served by three charters for the most part. On the southern end, in East Chicago, Indiana you have some nice wreck is shallower water. The guy that goes out to those is Captain Mike who runs a great operation called N'Pursuit. Web site is www.npursuitcharters.com.

In downtown Chicago, you have Captain Bob of Dive Chicago, who has a nice new boat with even provides air fills and rental equipment. He often goes to the Staits of Mackinac wreck, a ferry steamer that was scuttled for divers in about 70 ft of water. His web site is www.divechicago.com

Up north, in Waukegan, you have Captain Dale of the good ship Enterprise. His most popular site is the steamer Wisconsin, a great boat but deep at about 120ft. His web site is www.captaindales.com.

2 hours north of Chicago is the fine city of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, out of which you can reach a number of great wrecks. The best know charters up there are the Len Der and the Nordic Diver. Web sites www.len-der.com and www.nordicdiver.com.

I'm a native Oregonian myself but never dove there. Had great few days diving the Puget Sound last year though!

Thanks for the help Dean810, That gives me some places to look to get started planning.

I spend most of my time up in Puget Sound, but there are a few good dives in Oregon.

Going to hit Hood Canal this weekend.

Steve B

Steve,

I'm in the process of putting together a group of Northwest divers for a trip to chicago in June. Any chance you can talk your niece into getting married a little early? Or two trips to the Windy city would be fun.

http://www.tacomascuba.net/id36.html

Brian

StevenB:
Hey Wreckers,

I am an experienced Oregon diver that will be in the Chicago area around August 10 to 13 for my niece's wedding and was hoping to squeeze in a couple dives in the area while I am there. Probably the 12th will need to be my dive day. This is my first time in the area, so any recommendations on shops to rent tanks, and charters, or sites not to missed would be appreciated?

Thanks
Steve B

Looks like you got some great dives planned! Do people out there visit here very often to dive?

bet63:
Steve,

I'm in the process of putting together a group of Northwest divers for a trip to chicago in June. Any chance you can talk your niece into getting married a little early? Or two trips to the Windy city would be fun.

Brian

Dean810:
Looks like you got some great dives planned! Do people out there visit here very often to dive?

This will be our first trip for diving to Chicago, Milwaukee is planned for the summer of 08 and then to another city by the great lakes for the next summer.

Brian

It's awesome to see folks from the west traveling to the Great Lakes region to enjoy our awesome diving. Seems to usually work the other way round. Kudos to you!

Hi Brian,

I could ask her, but I am sure her mother would throttle me. :11:

I don't think I can pull off two trips, but I look forward to your dive reports! Let me know how it goes.

Steve B

bet63:
Steve,

Brian

Divin'Hoosier:
It's awesome to see folks from the west traveling to the Great Lakes region to enjoy our awesome diving. Seems to usually work the other way round. Kudos to you!

Sometimes I think that Great Lakes diving is the best kept secret in the diving world. But then, we have had divers come from Great Britain and about half the states to dive Lake Michigan with us.

Now is the time to get on the schedule, unless you want to dive during the week, the weekend spots are practically filled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom