Lookin to get new reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive exclusively with a Sherwood SR2, and I don't go anywhere in the world without it now. This being said, there will be many of this forum with vastly more experience than me, so I can only share my opinion/experience.

I'm not a pro by any means, and some will be able to give you much more technical answers than I can, but when I kitted out, I wanted to the best I could afford, and after much deliberation and a heap of advice I settled on the SR2.

I understand that the SR1 was something of a fail, but from what I can tell, the SR2 rates quite favourably from the myriad of reviews that I have seen (when doing my own due diligence).

Its nitrox ready out of the box to 40% which was good for me. Easy adjustment, effortless breathing, 360 degree swivel for the LP hoses, and pneumatically balanced. These were the selling points for me.

I guess its a lot to do with personal preference, and I'm glad I made the decision to buy the Sherwood SR2, but mine is but one opinion of many. I mainly wreck and reef dive FYI.

I dove with Sherwood a few years back during my training and open water certification dives, can't remember model, would recognize it if I saw it and it was alright. But then I borrowed a ScubaPro regulator when I accompanied my friend on his open water dives and I couldn't tell it was in my mouth. Also the only mouthpiece I didn't get jaw fatigue, plus no dry mouth either! That was a plus. I also used Oceanic and I can't remember either Cressi or Mares. However, never had a dive as well as ScubaPro! You should pm BeaverDivers, and Casey may be able to help you! He helped me pick out a nice reg set and answered every and all questions. Never seen customer service provided as much as he had. He differently got a customer for life in me! Plus he got a sweet deal along the way! Very knowledgeable and will listen to what your looking for and will try to help!

I dove with Sherwood a few years back during my training and open water certification dives, can't remember model, would recognize it if I saw it and it was alright. But then I borrowed a ScubaPro regulator when I accompanied my friend on his open water dives and I couldn't tell it was in my mouth. Also the only mouthpiece I didn't get jaw fatigue, plus no dry mouth either! That was a plus. I also used Oceanic and I can't remember either Cressi or Mares. However, never had a dive as well as ScubaPro! You should pm BeaverDivers, and Casey may be able to help you! He helped me pick out a nice reg set and answered every and all questions. Never seen customer service provided as much as he had. He differently got a customer for life in me! Plus he got a sweet deal along the way! Very knowledgeable and will listen to what your looking for and will try to help!

Sorry, to piss on your parade but you spent $2000 for about $1100 dollars worth of gear. $ubapro stuff is very expensive. You can purchase a full HOG D1 set (with a secondary identical to your primary incudcing a SPG) for ~$510. Add in a BP/W and you're set for the balance of your diving lifetime.

I dove with Sherwood a few years back during my training and open water certification dives, can't remember model, would recognize it if I saw it and it was alright. But then I borrowed a ScubaPro regulator when I accompanied my friend on his open water dives and I couldn't tell it was in my mouth.

You can't compare gear like that. A Sherwood Magnum breathes just as well as Scubapro 195/MK-11, because the first stages are balanced and the second stages are unbalanced. Of course the more expensive Scubapro regulators with balanced second stages will breath better than the Magnum.

I understand, but at that time when I dove, I just had things that I liked about each one and things I didn't like. I honestly, didn't write down the model of first stage or second stage of them so I can't be more specifics, but starting to learn that some models from brands are better then others in the same brand. Due to different parts that used within and whether the first stage is sealed and unsealed.

Sorry, to piss on your parade but you spent $2000 for about $1100 dollars worth of gear. $ubapro stuff is very expensive. You can purchase a full HOG D1 set (with a secondary identical to your primary incudcing a SPG) for ~$510. Add in a BP/W and you're set for the balance of your diving lifetime.
Until the cheap stuff breaks or falls apart in a year or so and you have to replace.

Until the cheap stuff breaks or falls apart in a year or so and you have to replace.

Overpriced, over-hyped, "hello sailor, looking for a good time . . .?" Truth in fact, you CANNOT sell anything other than $ubapro

Overpriced, over-hyped, "hello sailor, looking for a good time . . .?" Truth in fact, you CANNOT sell anything other than $ubapro

In all fairness to Beaver and Scubapro, I have seen more complaints about problems with HOG and Hollis regulators than I do on Scubapro. The major complaints against Scubapro are cost and the failure to sell parts, not quality of product. If Tigershark takes care of the regulator he can pass it to his grand kids. I am not sure you can say the same about the plastic ODS regulators sold by HOG, Hollis, or Dive Rite. However the newer ODS models appear to be better in both performance and durability than the older ones that Diver Supply, OMS, Salvo, and Dive Rite used to sell. But, their prices are also starting to rival what the larger manufacturers charge.

I am not sure what Tigershark purchased for the $2,000 but he thought it was a good deal based on published prices. He was happy and you peed on his parade for no reason other than his gear selection did not match yours. If he wanted to go cheap he could have bought an Express Tech and a 20 year-old set of used Conshelfs.

You and Beaver can fight all you want but the mods will step in and delete your posts.

In all fairness to Beaver and Scubapro, I have seen more complaints about problems with HOG and Hollis regulators than I do on Scubapro. The major complaints against Scubapro are cost and the failure to sell parts, not quality of product. If Tigershark takes care of the regulator he can pass it to his grand kids. I am not sure you can say the same about the plastic ODS regulators sold by HOG, Hollis, or Dive Rite. However the newer ODS models appear to be better in both performance and durability than the older ones that Diver Supply, OMS, Salvo, and Dive Rite used to sell. But, their prices are also starting to rival what the larger manufacturers charge. I am not sure what Tigershark purchased for the $2,000 but he thought it was a good deal based on published prices. He was happy and you peed on his parade for no reason other than his gear selection did not match yours. If he wanted to go cheap he could have bought an Express Tech and a 20 year-old set of used Conshelfs. You and Beaver can fight all you want but the mods will step in and delete your posts.
Thanks for the back up ams511, but JohnN actually got the facts of my deal wrong. What I said was I got $2,000 worth of gear for much LESS thanks to Casey at Beaver Divers! Yes, it's all ScubaPro, which is expensive, but also reliable that comes with lifetime warranties! Which several brands usually offer about 24 months warranty! I only know of 2 companies after doing research that offer liftetime warranties, which are ScubaPro and Atomic. But there may be others that I didn't run across. But I go the phrase, of "You get what you pay for"!

In all fairness to Beaver and Scubapro, I have seen more complaints about problems with HOG and Hollis regulators than I do on Scubapro. The major complaints against Scubapro are cost and the failure to sell parts, not quality of product. If Tigershark takes care of the regulator he can pass it to his grand kids. I am not sure you can say the same about the plastic ODS regulators sold by HOG, Hollis, or Dive Rite. However the newer ODS models appear to be better in both performance and durability than the older ones that Diver Supply, OMS, Salvo, and Dive Rite used to sell. But, their prices are also starting to rival what the larger manufacturers charge.

I am not sure what Tigershark purchased for the $2,000 but he thought it was a good deal based on published prices. He was happy and you peed on his parade for no reason other than his gear selection did not match yours. If he wanted to go cheap he could have bought an Express Tech and a 20 year-old set of used Conshelfs.

You and Beaver can fight all you want but the mods will step in and delete your posts.

And for HOG:

The Edge-Hog lifetime regulator warranty provides the original purchaser repairs or replacement for manufacturing defects only, it does not cover problems associated with improper use, improper or insufficent servicing, damage caused by neglict or negligence on the part of the owner or end user. Warranty coverage on all Edge-Hog regulators is at the sole discretion of Edge-Hog Dive Gear and any remedy of repair or replacement by Edge-Hog will be determined by an evaluation of the product in question. Proof of original purchas and all maintenance history records will be required for all Edge-Hog regulator warranty claims.

And apologies to all for being unnecessarily snarky

Back
Top Bottom