Looking for a crash course (Sony RX100II with 2 YS-D1 strobes)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riftvalley84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a some quick tips for using Manual or Program setting on RX100II. I have a lot to learn as this is a new set up and I generally shoot on auto. I'm currently on a holiday and haven't been happy with my results. What is the best settings for a newbie? Is Manual or Program mode better? I have the following: Sony RX100II, Recsea Housing, 2 X YS-D1 strobes, wide angle lens (i-Das UWL 04) & Macro Lens (i-Das +5). Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

WIth my rx100 and no strobes I shoot manual all the time.

The reason why is that the RX100 likes to default to F1.8 in lower light to try and take the photo without strobes. The problem with this is the depth of field is so shallow that it's not useful for me.

I shoot manual and try to keep the F stop near the middle of the range on the RX100 so around F4 or F5 depending on the lighting.

Then I get the slowest shutter speed I can without inducing blur. 1/30th if zoomed all the way out is the slowest I would go, but faster is better to stop motion blur.

Then I adjust the iso to get the proper exposure. In lower light (murky quarries and great lakes) I end up shooting around iso 640 or 800 most of the time.

So that's what I do for the basics and now you have to add the strobes into the mix. You could find the manual exposure settings that would underexpose the shot by about 1-2 stops then use the strobes to add the 1-2 stops of light back into the image to get proper exposure.

Also makes sure to shoot raw because it will give you a lot more flexibility when adjusting the shots later if they are under or over exposed.

If that doesn't work for you, ship the strobes to me and I will test it all out and let you know the settings you need :)

Thanks for the quick reply & good info! I'll experiment with manual tomorrow & I'll keep in mind your offer to test my strobes :wink:

It is unwise to have all the gear you have got without experience. You should get a class with someone to start from the basics as self help is rather difficult with all the toys you have and you will get very confused

Here are some basic guides: Education :: Handbooks: Basics of Better UW Photos -

But if you want to shoot in Manual it is "like" on land, you need to understand the basic principles of photography. How f.stops relate to ISO, to shutter speed, etc….What to do if you want a shallow DOF or high contrast landscapes…Then you need to figure out strobe positioning…the process goes on. What I see with shooters underwater is they are trying to adjust too many settings all at once. Example if you are shooting Macro a ISO of 100-200, f.11 (for RX), shutter speed of 100, and then just adjust strobe power to get proper exposure. Now if you want bokeh macro; take a class, lol.

Here are some basic guides: Education :: Handbooks: Basics of Better UW Photos -

But if you want to shoot in Manual it is "like" on land, you need to understand the basic principles of photography. How f.stops relate to ISO, to shutter speed, etc….What to do if you want a shallow DOF or high contrast landscapes…Then you need to figure out strobe positioning…the process goes on. What I see with shooters underwater is they are trying to adjust too many settings all at once. Example if you are shooting Macro a ISO of 100-200, f.11 (for RX), shutter speed of 100, and then just adjust strobe power to get proper exposure. Now if you want bokeh macro; take a class, lol.
He spent over $3000 in equipment it would make some sense to spend money in tuition otherwise the investment will only result in frustration
The rx100 is not the simplest of camera to operate as a compact and has got specific quirks that need explaining

I too bought a RX100 without a bit of photographic skill. I found that taking several pictures of the same thing (each with different adjustments), Then reviewing the photos with a photo editing/viewing software that displays the setting information has helped me learn the effect of each adjustment.

If you plan to take dozens of pictures of the same thing, let your buddy know in advance - otherwise your buddy may become very annoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go auto or suck it and see, trying is the best education then do a course. Not everyone has access to an expert in their same mode. he is on holidays right now and needs help. I would look at: An Underwater Photographer?s Guide to the RX-100

Good generla advic eon settings form SCot. Also look at areas on strobe us. Underwater camera settings|Underwater Photography Guide

---------- Post added February 14th, 2014 at 09:44 AM ----------

Go down and set the ISO first or leave on auto. If nice bright day ISO100. Then look are you doign macro or WA? Macro you will want F stop at 12 up to 22. WA start wider at 3.5 or whatever yours starts at. Then finally adjust the speed so the exposure is at zero and balanced. Dont point the strobes right at the object. Point sl outwards so the edges of the strobe just kiss the object and dont light up the silt in front of it. What kind of problems are you having? Bracket shots with different strobe settings or just use TTL

I appreciate the good pointers and excellent links. I should have spent more time learning before I came on holiday but ran out of time so all of these suggestions have been helpful. I had some fun experimenting with manual on today's dive and had better results and I also spent some time on land doing the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom