looking for a dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azr

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to the Big Island (11/27/02-12/02/02) and I am looking for a Buddy to do shore dives with on (11/28/02 and 11/29/02)

I am also looking to dive with someone in Maui on 12/4/02 and 12/5/02.

Is anyone interested?

I am a novice diver. I have a total of 10-11 dives.

--A

Unfortunately, I don't have any plans to be on either the Big Island or Maui during those times (I'm hoping to do a long weekend in Kona in mid January, though :) ).

In the event that you aren't able to find a buddy to shore dive with, I wanted to suggest that not all is lost - most likely there are dive shops that offer shore diving "tours" - a guide takes you to different sites and show you around. Boat diving is really expensive (around $100 for a 2 tank dive) - the shore diving tour will not be as expensive.

Alternatively, you can stop by the shops and ask if anyone is diving that day - but if they sell tours they'll likely try to steer you in that direction.

Anyway, have fun and I hope you find a buddy.

Thanks.

Are you aware of any dive shops that do shore tours?

Everyone I have talked to is trying to sell me the $115 boat dives with all gear included.

--A

but for a starting point for you to work from, I looked in the yellow pages.

*I have NO experience with these shops/operators at all, but they are the only ones that advertised as offering shore dive tours. Likely there are other operators that offer them, but they didn't have an ad that said so.

Maui: Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei (808) 874-5332
Pacific Dive in Lahaina www.pacificdive.com or
(808) 667-0901.

Kona: (I assume you're staying in Kona)
Torpedo Tours - www.torpedotours.com or (808) 938-0405

Maybe someone else who has gone with an operator that offers shore dive tours will be able to let you know which shop they used.

ok, I just took a look at the kona website - geez, they charge almost as much for a shore dive as for a boat dive! of course, you get the use of a DPV, though.

Hey there, I'm pretty experienced with Maui, and familiar with the Big Island.

I STRONGLY second the recommendations for Maui Dreams Dive Co on Maui -- they specialize in shore dives. You can find them at www.mauidreamsdiveco.com

I have also used Torpedo Tours on the Big Island.. it has been awhile, but when I was last there, they were about the only ones doing shore dives -- and they did a nice job of it... you can also try your hand at Torpedo diver propulsion vehicles -- (DPV)

Have fun! I wish I was going to be there -- I'd be happy to dive with you.

Liz

Thanks a lot for your help.

--A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom