Looking for a good Kauai Operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went diving with Fathom Five last month. I went shore diving one day at Tunnels and two days of diving off their boats on the south side. I found them to be very professional and a pleasure to dive with. We did fixed moorings and drift dives.

The only issue I had was the one day I was on their smaller dive boat. It is not as easy to get on, you hand your gear over at the side of the boat and then have to step on the stern drive and heave yourself up on the swim platform. The bigger boat is no problem. Their shop is very good and it looked like they were the fill station for all the other shops for Nitrox.

Aquatic Adventures are located right on Poipu and are a very friendly shop.

Scott from Bubbles Below (formerly of Fathom Five) is one of the best dive guides out there. He is very competent and does a great job finding critters. He dives to your level of ability and is willing to help when needed and will back off when not needed. The diving in Kauai is wonderful and between Aquatic Adventures for shore diving and Scott at Bubbles Below for boat diving you are in for a wonderful time.

Bus

I had a great time with Fathom Five. With a maximum of six divers, you get personalized service. It does mean dealing with a smaller vessel, but with less folks on board, it's not a big deal.

Three cheers for Bubbles Below... My g-friend and I dove with them last year and had a fantastic time. Joe was our DM, very knowledgeable & he defiantly love's what he does. Were going back in March and were 110% defiantly repeat clients with Bubble Below...

I live on Maui and can't wait to dive Kauai... Awesome island!

Thanks so much for help! Any other thoughts are more than welcome.

If you're going to Kauai you need to dive Koloa landing with Aquatic Adventures, AA is a great crew and Koloa landing has great photographic opportunities, don't discount it because it's a shore dive!. For a boat dive Fathom 5 gets my vote.

I'm going to be in Poipu for a week in November. I've been looking at the websites of Bubbles Below, Fathom Five and SeaSport. Does anyone have a recommendation they'd like to share?

fyi. A plus would be a photographer friendly boat. (space for camera, rinse tank)

I'll add that for boat diving, SeaSports has a big boat but unless you want easy sites, take the morning charter. They tend to reserve the afternoon boat for easy dives and students. They are photo friendly.

Tell KAS that you have a camera and they will fill a bucket for you. They have a small boat but for the most part, it will be just you and your buddy on board. Small but nice and friendly.

Here is what I said in a recent post.
Diving:
All of the dive operations we have used have been great.
But here is my abbreviated list:

For shore diving, guides and gear with outstanding Dive masters, Aquatics Adventures does a first class job.
Aquatics Adventures

To Dive Niihau Island, KauaiÃÔ premiere dive location (subject to weather closures) and not to be missed. SeaSports Divers did a good job with competent crew and Dive masters.
Seasports Divers, Poipu

Local boat diving, I really liked Kauai Aquatic Scuba. Small boat and very nice people, good crew and Captain. Easy to work with.
Kauai Aquatics Scuba/Mana Divers

FathomFive also receive good reviews by others here but alas, I've not dived with them yet. There is also Bubbles Below, I used them a few years ago and things did not go to well but recent reviews by others have been very good!

Below is a link to a complete report of my last visit.
Kauai Dive Report - Links to Video/Pictures

I've only heard good things about Aquatic Adventures... they seem like a friendly bunch, too!

My wife and I did a shore dive at Tunnels and a boat dive with Fathom Five and had a good time. The tunnels are an easy dive and you can rent tanks to do it yourself from shore with very little trouble. The boat dive was on a smallish boat which bounced in the mildly heavy seas but was never unsafe. Our DM for the night boat dive was super hard working and fun. Fathom Five is a nice operation and easy to get along with and I wouldnt hesitate to use them again.

Back
Top Bottom