Looking for a liveaboard...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdtgray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I should be getting about two weeks of mid-tour leave not too far down the road, and am interested in doing a dive liveaboard.

I have seen the sites for several liveaboards operating in the carribean. My problem, however, is twofold. First, I will not know when I will get my leave until a few days prior to actually getting that time off. Second, I would be traveling alone and dislike the idea of paying suppliments to cover the cost of an unused bunk in a room. I don't mind sharing a room with someone I meet on a boat, I just don't want to have to pay for two bunks if I'm only using one.

Based on that, I am looking for ideas on boats that tend to have last-minute openings, will not charge extra to a solo traveler. Naturally anything with a younger average crowd are preffered (I'm 24).

Thanks in advance for any info.

cdtgray:
I should be getting about two weeks of mid-tour leave not too far down the road, and am interested in doing a dive liveaboard.

I have seen the sites for several liveaboards operating in the carribean. My problem, however, is twofold. First, I will not know when I will get my leave until a few days prior to actually getting that time off. Second, I would be traveling alone and dislike the idea of paying suppliments to cover the cost of an unused bunk in a room. I don't mind sharing a room with someone I meet on a boat, I just don't want to have to pay for two bunks if I'm only using one.

Based on that, I am looking for ideas on boats that tend to have last-minute openings, will not charge extra to a solo traveler. Naturally anything with a younger average crowd are preffered (I'm 24).

Thanks in advance for any info.

I would say your best bet would be Blackbeards cruises in the Bahamas...if you say you don't mind sharing they will only charge you for the regular rate. I don't know how well you will do last minute though....

The nekton boats don't charge a surcharge for solo as long as you are willing to share. Not sure how often they have an open spot, but worth a look. Also don't know re age group. I don't fit that age catagory and am diving the Belize trip at the end of the month. Have heard that Blackbeard's is a yournger crowd, more of a "camping" experience on a boat. I want a little more.

Blackbeard's are bunks in shared cabin areas. No extra charge for singles they have double and single bunks.

Your big problem will be the short notice. I would suggest calling Blackbeard's and see if you even have a chance of getting in last minute. Someone posted that their recent Blackbeard's had only 12 on board - so adding at the last minute shouldn't be a big deal in that case - but if they are booking at capacity its going to be an issue. We are doing a Blackbeard's the last week of February and reserved our spots back in November and paid the balance at the end of December (60 days prior to the trip).

I know that making arrangements last minute always runs the risk that there will be no space available, however in my mind it's well worth giving it a shot. In addition to the liveaboard I am looking into other travel options and keeping myself flexible (oddly enough all of my other ideas do include diving though - you'd never expect that on a forum like this :wink: ).

I figure with several options planned in advance, I can go with whichever one best fits the time and availibility constraints I find when I step off the plane stateside.

A lot of the liveaboard companies offer last minute deals if the boat for that given week isn't full. Your best bet is too just start calling the various liveaboard companies(agressor, peter hughes, explorer ventures, nekton etc) when you know what week your going to go. This might not give you as much choice in destinations but it probably will get you a good deal. I wouldn't deal with any company that makes you pay a single supplement for the other bunk assuming your willing to share the cabin with someone.

How about in the Maldives? We can offer you a good quality liveaboard with 3 dives n full board (breakfast,lunch & Dinner) at USD 140 per day

If you have a 12 person group then we can offer you as low as USD 110 per person perday inclusive are:-
Full board accomodation
3 Dives wth equipment and dive master
Free fishing gear and fishing
Resort excursion in Maldives
Uninhabitted island BBQ
If booking is individual then it shall be USD 140 per day, for couples discounts apply also for larger groups.

Transholidays:
How about in the Maldives? We can offer you a good quality liveaboard with 3 dives n full board (breakfast,lunch & Dinner) at USD 140 per day

I'm sure you have a nice boat but for me three dives a day is just not enough. If I'm going to do a live aboard i'm doing five dives a day every day, but thats just me.

I know that Peter Hughes Diving make you a great deal on last minute bookings. If they have an open spot they sell it quite cheap. I'd assume that the other fleets do the same. All of them are in the business to make money and an open seat costs them money.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom