Do you tip the liveaboard trip organizers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tloicto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If you go on a liveaboard trip organized by your dive shop, do you tip the representatives from the dive shop (separately from tipping the people running the boat and dive guides 10-15% of the cost of the liveaboard)? If so, how much? Meaning: the shop sends one or two shop representatives on the trip to help things go smoothly (they also get to dive/not act as dive guides - unless making things go smoothly ends up blocking them from doing so). I'm not just asking if you tip staff from the dive shop who also happen to pay for spots on the same liveaboard.

If you go on a liveaboard trip organized by your dive shop, do you tip the representatives from the dive shop (separately from tipping the people running the boat and dive guides 10-15% of the cost of the liveaboard)? If so, how much? Meaning: the shop sends one or two shop representatives on the trip to help things go smoothly (they also get to dive/not act as dive guides - unless making things go smoothly ends up blocking them from doing so). I'm not just asking if you tip staff from the dive shop who also happen to pay for spots on the same liveaboard.
I'm a dive pro and my opinion is, "No." Especially if they got that trip for free. Sometimes shops arrange the trips and get free spots (or deep discounts) for their dive pros in return for booking the boat. They send dive pros/employees on those free spots. However, if someone from your shop goes above and beyond to help you out, maybe a tip would be warranted. Up to you, but not expected! Have fun!

Typically, a dive shop employee gets to go on a trip as a perk--it's a freebie or reward for them. Sure, their "job" onboard is to "help things go smoothly," but that's usually a pretty cushy "job." It's the liveaboard's cruise director who actually is in charge of making sure things go smoothly.

I have never gone on an organized liveaboard or resort trip. If I did, I would probably look for one that split the free slot(s) with other attendees, to lower the cost of the trip for everyone.

I do not think I would tip an organizer unless they provided extraordinary service(s)

I would say no as most of them will contact a Dive travel agency to get the best prices and airfare. Once they collect all the info from the customer, then the travel agency takes it from there. In other words they let the travel agency do all the work, then depending on how many they sign up they will get one or two slots comped for themselves or get greatly discounted trips.

I've been on about 12-15 group trips organized by two different dive shops. The shop owner was the trip organizer in both cases. No tip is warranted and, because I was an instructor for both shops, I can verify that no tip to the trip organizer was ever expected. As was stated above, for one of the shops a travel agent handled all booking and travel arrangements and once you're on the live-a-board, the cruise director(s) handle all logistics. Also, as also stated above, most liveaboards offer one free spot for every 7 or 8 spots paid. So, our groups, usually of 16, produced 2 free spots. Also, the shop gets anywhere from a 10 to 15% discount on the price (if a travel agent is involved, the discount is usually split 10% to the agent and 10% to the shop) and the shop usually charges the full, not discounted price. So, travel can be a very good money maker for the shop. I do know that some shops charge their guests the reduced price, but, in my experience, that is not the norm.
All said, tip your boat crew well and don't worry about the group leader. They're making out fine.

I have been on several. If the trip organizer (who has always been a local dive shop owner/spouse) does a good job there is usually an excellent bottle of wine waiting for them back at the shop. Otherwise, I don't "tip" the organizer who is running his/her own business....

I do this for a living. It is work, but yes, we do get a free spaces (mostly free anyway) and a small commission. We are still on the hook for airfare, so running the dive shop is the real living - trips are something you get to do. Now that I say that, I have seen some dive shops really mark up trips, but I never really thought about doing that. The group of people that do dive trips with us is 75% people that have done past trips, with new additions every year. We are up to a couple of marriages. These people are really mostly my friends now - I've been vacationing with some of them for 20 years! I earn the small commission with the pre trip planning and logistics. Mostly handling emails, inquiries, travel schedules, cancellations, questions about the destination, etc. The commission almost always covers the airfare for my partner and I, but it doesn't really matter if it doesn't. We only plan trips WE want to go on, so if we ever end up going alone, it is still a win! Upcoming trips.

But the answer is NO, I would not expect a tip for organizing the trip, the tip would goto the boat crew. I have had guests bring me bottles and gifts before, and that was thoughtful, but I wouldn't take money. If I wanted more money to do the trip, I would have just charged it!

Back
Top Bottom