Tipping / Gratuity on LDS Organized Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every boat I've been on has a tip jar. Generally, if it's a pita to tip, I dont.

No way I'm giving a week's tips to the club organizer. That's going to get skimmed.
Did you ever work on such a boat? Asked the crew how much they earn? Whether they get social security, health insurance, orderly vacations? Most of these guys work hard for peanuts. It is not a PITA to tip them, it is an honorable way to show appreciation not only to the DM who showed you some nice fish, but also to the cook, they guy who cleaned your room and toilet, everyone of them works hard for low wages.

And no, it doesn't get skimmed, but one can always tip the crew directly.

I've never done a liveaboard but on charter boats I just tipped the DM, figuring he/she was the only one who probably didn't get paid.
In the US (I have no idea about Canada), we somehow get away with having volunteer DMs, but in many other countries DMs are paid for their time by their employer. It may not be that much by US standards, but they are paid. On liveaboards and at dive resorts, I tip for good service, not to make up the portion of what the DM's time is worth that the dive op refuses to pay them, as is the case with many US operations.

Did you ever work on such a boat? Asked the crew how much they earn? Whether they get social security, health insurance, orderly vacations? Most of these guys work hard for peanuts. It is not a PITA to tip them, it is an honorable way to show appreciation not only to the DM who showed you some nice fish, but also to the cook, they guy who cleaned your room and toilet, everyone of them works hard for low wages.

as usual tipping is a touchy subject for some.

quite frankly, as a customer using any business (scuba or any other) it is not my job to pay the employees wages. and the amount an employee makes is irrelevant to me. and it is very subjective depending on the country and the standard of living. $5 to some is nothing. but $5 to others might be a half days pay.

if we feel we have gotten better service than would normally be expected on a dive boat, then we will leave something extra for the crew or an individual that may deserve it.

i also do not believe in shaming people into paying a cost that is not mandatory. like tipping (in most cases). people should decide for themselves if they want to tip for someone going above and beyond, or even if they want to just spread the wealth so to speak as form of charity to under privileged locals.

if a business does not want to raise their advertised rates (and there are many reasons why they might not want to) in order to pay their staff properly, then they could always try to make a certain % of the price be a mandatory gratuity. this is often done in restaurants, many liveaboards, etc. then it is up to the customer to decide before purchasing the service whether they are ok with the final cost or not.

i think many times our outlook on tipping comes from our own past employment history. for those of us that worked hard at any job for little or no pay, and never received a tip, it can be tough to decide who gets one and who doesnt.

Then put a tip jar on your boat.

If I have to juggle a receptionist at your desk, and do long division just to tip your boat......not happening on vacation.

Do better.

If you want tips from me, its simple:
-do well
-put the jar or box somewhere on the boat we can get to
-full tank of air
-less than 2 waivers
-don't move my rig that I just carefully set down, definitely don't drag it across the deck
-don't beg for tips
-no weird awkward stuff
-don't let me catch you, giving everyone else a discount, but not me.
-don't be a Debbie downer and start the global warming stuff
-full tank of air
-don't upset my girl
-don't hire thieves (no, that's my o ring kit)
-boat that doesn't suck

Hey all - thanks so much. Tipping is very subjective and sensitive subject. My goal was to get an idea for the "standard" practice. Based on my education here I reached out to the local dive shop and simply asked. He mentioned that they will hand out a packet pre-trip with all of the guidance (as someone stated above). He also mentioned that $10 per tank was an "average" number. I also get the underlying concept of not feeling compelled to tip (poor equipment, poor service) or tipping more or others when they go above an beyond. Here is where the $10 number helps a noob like myself. $10 per tank 3 dive per day, 2 of us, 5 days of diving. 10*3*2*5 =$300. No way in heck I would have that much cash on me for tipping had I not had some insight into the practice on dive trips. PS - Yes, I will take more because there are others to be tipped en-route as well. THANK YOU all for your perspective and helping me.

The Live-aboards and boat trips I have participated in usually the Group Leader (divers) would collect the tip from all divers, Usually 10% of the trip cost per diver. Then present it to the Captain or Boat Lead and let them disperse it from there.

I have been mainly diving on live aboards. I normally tip 10% of the cost of my reservation. If I got a discount on the trip I tip 10% of the regular price. If the service is above the expected service, I throw in extra cash. My tip is hands to the captain then disperse it to the crew. I have been back on all of the boats I have used and received positive feedback.

What I have need noticing in Asia lately young divers don't tip at all. I was at scubajunkies in Sipadan and most youngsters were not tipping. I have done Komodo and Raja Liveaboards with Europeans and they were tipping 50-100 Euro a couple (man and wife) for a 10 day live aboard. I have always done $5 a tank and 10% of the value of the liveaboard.

I have been noticing in Coz $5 a tank is a low tip.

Times are changing and not to the benefit of the crew!

Sorry if I am hijacking your thread

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom