Tipping / Gratuity on LDS Organized Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I have need noticing in Asia lately young divers don't tip at all. I was at scubajunkies in Sipadan and most youngsters were not tipping. I have done Komodo and Raja Liveaboards with Europeans and they were tipping 50-100 Euro a couple (man and wife) for a 10 day live aboard. I have always done $5 a tank and 10% of the value of the liveaboard.

I have been noticing in Coz $5 a tank is a low tip.

. . .
Are you suggesting that, when utilizing dive services (or any services) in Asia, a person from a low-tipping or no-tipping country such as some in Europe or maybe Australia should be expected to tip as much as we who are from the country that the rest of the world thinks of as crazy-high tipping?

When in Asia, we Americans should tip as we wish, and Europeans or others from low-tipping or no-tipping countries should tip as they wish. I would think with the mix of visitors, Asia would develop a tipping expectation that is somewhat of a middle ground.

the argument against tipping in Europe/Aus is that service staff are already paid a living wage so it is unnecessary. that isn't the case in SEA.

Resort personnel work hard to make your vacation enjoyable. Remember, Roatan is more expensive than just about any other place to live in Honduras. All staff, dive shop, DM, boat operations, wait staff, chamber maids, will appreciate a little gratuity. Don't go hog wild, but $10 - $15 per day for the dive/boat crew [combined], $5 per day for wait staff and $20 - $25 per week for the maid will go a long way to helping them make ends meet, without breaking your budget.

the argument against tipping in Europe/Aus is that service staff are already paid a living wage so it is unnecessary. that isn't the case in SEA.
I believe that's part of the argument, yes. But my understanding is that working on a liveaboard pays very well compared with other jobs those people might have had.

My family is all LDS...... and so the suggested tip for keeping up their membership is 10% of gross income!! If you don't pay up, then I think the deal is that you are supposed to go to hell.... Not really sure.

I am what's known in my family as a "Jack Mormon" ....which means that I am not to be trusted anywhere near anyone's liquor cabinet.

each operation may do things differently. but our shop typically would gather tips from the group and present it to the local dive operator.
i would suggest you ask your LDS organizing the trip how they prefer to do it.
the group i was with was caught off guard when told by the organizer at the end of the trip that they were expected to provide a tip of X amount. many people were no too happy about finding this out at the last minute. some did not even have enough cash to be able to contribute (even though they wanted to) and others felt they were being forced into paying a cost they were not previously made aware of.
as far as general tipping at the resort you will be at.....i always say "it is up to you". i dont agree with pressuring people into tipping simply because that is what they are told is the norm.
paying the cost of the trip is your obligation.
maybe check to see if a gratuity is built into the cost of the trip. if not, then decide for yourself if the service you receive warrants something extra for any of the staff.
if you do tip, my personal default answer as to which currency to use is always to use the local currency. unless it is cuba. but thats a whole different conversation. lol
great response

@Lorenzoid I'm not sure anything in the recreational dive industry pays well
I think the diving industry is paid OKish in SE Asia by local standards, where average ppl in countries like Thailand, Indonesia, and the Phillippines only make 500-1000 USD a month.

Don't want to go off-topic, but I don't know anyone who tips those workers in China or Vietnam for making their shoes, and I don't see how the diving industry (or the general tourism industry) is any special.

Are you suggesting that, when utilizing dive services (or any services) in Asia, a person from a low-tipping or no-tipping country such as some in Europe or maybe Australia should be expected to tip as much as we who are from the country that the rest of the world thinks of as crazy-high tipping?

When in Asia, we Americans should tip as we wish, and Europeans or others from low-tipping or no-tipping countries should tip as they wish. I would think with the mix of visitors, Asia would develop a tipping expectation that is somewhat of a middle ground.
I was born/raised in a country without a tipping culture and traveled quite a bit. And I could give tons of examples of how American travelers are seen as walking ATMs, especially in low-income countries. Two things do happen:
1) Some people get greedy and want to rip off everyone from America. When I was in Egypt on a cruise, I paid 40 dollars per day while the American dude next door essentially got scammed and paid 100.
2) People from non-tipping countries (and their own countries), or people who look like they are from non-tipping countries (e.g. Asian/African Americans) are treated sub-par.

Both cases are unhealthy for local tourism. My suggestion is to do as Romans do and respect local tipping customs. There are hundreds of better ways of helping their economy than just giving out cash to people.

making shoes is not a service job. like i wouldn't tip the cheeseheads that made my thorogoods either.

iirc most guides/instructors are paid on commission like independent contractors that tips are probably factored in to get to that range of 800 to 1k per month. and the local boat crew are probably making half that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom