looking for a place to learn scuba in Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s.s.seafan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a place to take a scuba class in Houston (I live in Katy). As all four dive shops that are close to my home require weights and belt as personal gear, I asked a question about weights in this other thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ewbie-question-about-weights-weight-belt.html

I got overwhelming response saying that LDS requiring students to bring weights is nonsense and folks suggest me to keep looking, or ask here. So far I've checked:

Sea Sports
Gigglin Marlin
Divetech
Universal Scuba Distributors Inc

would you recommend any shop or instructor that you or your friends have a good experience with learning the basics of scuba and get certified?

Thanks!

-Jason

You've hit the big ones. I took my class last year and everyone wanted you to buy pretty much the same equipment. That was pretty much the cheapest thing I bought besides a whistle, so I wouldn't make too much fuss about it.

I took my class at Sea Sports on Westheimer because they have their own pool in the back and it was close to my house. The instructor was Bortner, really good guy. These days I usually shop at Gigglin Marlin, but I haven't taken a class there yet. I'm going to give them a try this summer.

someone suggests Maximum Scuba in the other thread, anyone has experience with them?

You've hit the big ones. I took my class last year and everyone wanted you to buy pretty much the same equipment. That was pretty much the cheapest thing I bought besides a whistle, so I wouldn't make too much fuss about it.

I took my class at Sea Sports on Westheimer because they have their own pool in the back and it was close to my house. The instructor was Bortner, really good guy. These days I usually shop at Gigglin Marlin, but I haven't taken a class there yet. I'm going to give them a try this summer.

The simplest weight belt is fairly cheap, but lead isn't cheap.

someone suggests Maximum Scuba in the other thread, anyone has experience with them?
Maximum Scuba does not require you to buy any gear, call them at 281-291-9911
they just opened a new shop on Richmond (6400 block) that would be happy to accomodate you.:D

thanks for the suggestion of Maximum Scuba. I called them and found that they offer a course of 2 classroom sessions (each 4 hrs), 1 pool session (4 hrs), 2 open water sessions (3 hrs each), that's a total of 18 hours - is that sufficient to learn to dive in the open sea?

thanks for the suggestion of Maximum Scuba. I called them and found that they offer a course of 2 classroom sessions (each 4 hrs), 1 pool session (4 hrs), 2 open water sessions (3 hrs each), that's a total of 18 hours - is that sufficient to learn to dive in the open sea?

Not bad and not great, about average. If you want more training time then you'd have to go with a private instructor which usually costs more.

Usually the pool sessions may be broken down in several 1-hrs session because of people's commitment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom