Looking for a resort that includes non-diving children.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imadiver2

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking for info from anyone who has taken their non-diving children on dive trips. We have a six year old and would like to be able to bring him on trips with us. Does anyone know of good dive resorts that have activities for children while the parents are diving?

imadiver2:
I was looking for info from anyone who has taken their non-diving children on dive trips. We have a six year old and would like to be able to bring him on trips with us. Does anyone know of good dive resorts that have activities for children while the parents are diving?

Looks like the Beaches chain:

http://www.beaches.com/

offers a "Kids Kamp" to take care of the rugrat while you two go diving...

they are part of the Sandals chain, which my husband and I love (we don't have human children) and you get 2 free dives a day... well, included in the price of your vacation, really :)

I've taken children to both the Westin in St. John, USVI:
http://www.westinresortstjohn.com/

and to Hawk's Cay resort near Marathon Key FL:

http://www.hawkscay.com/

Both resorts have scads of activities for kids. The Westin is surrounded by some of the most beatiful beaches in the world and the resort is top notch.

Hawk's Cay is teeming with kids and there's always some activity for them to do. Aside from water sports, there is not a lot to do there.

I would feel comfortable leaving my kids with the staff of either of these resorts.

Check out the websites to see all the specific activities for kids.

Hi imadiver2,
to get better information and suggestions, do you have a geographical preference? And it will also depend on how structured you want the time for the children while you dive.

Although I took my kid with me on all diving holidays, there are a lot more options nowadays for the family that includes divers/non divers/small children. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific information.

Maria

We have taken our son on divetrips since he was 2 months old, to the carribean and Egypt. In most resorts there are some facilities and at least a swimmingpool - a must for children.
We did however alternate diving; I would go on the morningdive and my wife on the afternoondive. So no need for a babysitter :)
Diving together with your partner is of course nicer, but I could not take the risk of diving together, have some sort of an accident together and have a small child on its own somewhere in the Carribean or Egypt. But that is our decision, which won't have to be yours.

We just got back from Cozumel. We stayed at Allegro and we have a 9 yr old daughter that does not dive. She loved the kid's club and begged to stay when we tried to retrieve her after our dives. It is a little strange though that the kid's club does not open till 9:00 and the dives are supposed to start at 9:00 when this is supposed to be a dive resort. We were lucky enough to have a private boat because we had enough divers, so the DM did not mind if it took me a minute to run her to the club after setting up gear and loading it on the boat. They also have a babysitter service that worked out great for the night dive. Teresita did not speak English and my daughter did not speak Spanish but both still had a good time and managed somehow. I love Cozumel and the people and did not feel uncomfortable about leaving her. I am usually very much in tune with that and have refused babysitters and services here in the States because I did not feel good about it. With 6 of us divers, we could have easily taken turns and not had to sacrifice much diving to stay with her but she loved the kid's club and wanted to be there when ever we would let her.
She said this was her favorite vacation so far. Usually, when we are discussing where to go on vacation next, she always wants to go to Wyoming??????

How about a cruise line ??? They have kid camps and you could go ashore and dive (plan ahead obvisiously).

I just got back from Maui and we put put our 8 year old in kids camp at the hotel (Embassy suites) I dove all day and the wife shopped and the little one had fun, at the end of the day we all did a family activity :)

Back
Top Bottom