Looking for a very inexpensive step up..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murph88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
First of all, I apologize for not giving all the information you may need, because I honestly don't have it. I've been looking at various cameras for a while now, but still have no idea which direction to go.

One of the dive masters I dove with took her TG-3 rig with us, and one day, I'd love to have something like that!! For the time being, all I know is that my little gopro knockoff works amazing for what it is. All I want to do is upgrade to something with optical zoom and some kind of lighting/flash. Just let me catch a picture of those anemone shrimp and little nudibranchs and I'll be overjoyed!

I'm so frustrated! I found a decent deal on a used TG-2, but then couldn't find a PT-053 underwater case ANYWHERE! It was going to be out of my price range anyway, but if I find the right deal, I'm notorious for grabbing it up.

At this point, I'm about ready to just get a used Coolpix S33 and take my chances. I'd really like to stay under $150, but if it was the right deal, I'm sure I'd spend more.

Any and all suggestions very much appreciated!

150 US$ isn't going to get you much. For sure not with external strobe. I would stay away from 2nd hand gear. In my opinion, look for a high end digital camera (canon or Nikon) with a housing. You want to be able to do manual settings and Manual white balance. At the moment I'm shooting (one of my camera's) with a Nikon Coolpix 7100 wit Fantasea housing. I rememebr i bouth it 4 or 5 years ago for less than 600 US$. If I would to buy anything new now, I would go for the Canon G16, also with a fantasea Housing (I prefer them over the Canon Housings). I haven't really looked in lately in new high end digitals, so there might be better options.

Thank you Oli! I understand I won't get much and it will be second hand. The way I travel in the Philippines, my cameras and computer will be at risk on a regular basis. My last 2 month trip involved about 15 different hotels/guest houses and I purposely didn't have anything in my rooms that I was overly concerned about. This is the main reason I won't be spending much on a camera that I would constantly be worried about.

That being said, I really think the little Nikon s33 seems about right for my situation, but I can't take it deep enough. I only need the camera safe to 30M, but I don't know of one that can do that without a very expensive housing. There has to be a simple solution to this seeing that my gopro knockoff never flinched at those depths, and only cost $60! I just want some kind of flash, and a little zoom would be great.

If anyone can give my any direction here, it would be very much appreciated.

For Sale - Tons of sea life cameras new - One new SL330 left - $100.

More info: SeaLife Mini II Digital Underwater Camera SL330 B&H Photo Video

discontinued model but within your budget. 9MP stills, 40M depth rating.

Add-on lens to get within 1' - normal close focus for the camera alone is 2'.
Mini Wide Angle Lens | Sealife Cameras

$45-50 for that: Amazon.com : SeaLife Mini Wide Angle Lens SL974 : Underwater Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

It's going to backscatter some since the flash is directly over the lens - can't be helped w/o an external flash.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom