Looking for advice from Morehead area divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sinbad the Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looks like I'll be in Emerald Isle the end of August with the fam. I am pretty sure I can get away for at least 1 trip and hopefully 2. I am taking my deep class this weekend and after this I'll have rougly 20 dives experience. Wrecks are calling me, but I want to do things that are well within my experience level so I can relax and enjoy.

So I'd love to hear recomendations for dives to make and ops to use in that part of the world. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. Don't get many chances to dive away from the quary, want to get the most out of it:D

Here's the strategy I (and probably others) would recommend.

For your first trip, book a charter to the INDRA, which is a little closer, shallower, and gives a nice introduction to the boat, the lines, and the diving off NC (along with some cool stuff to see). These are usually afternoon charters on weekend days, so you can spend the morning doing something with the family.

Then, book a full day charter and pick some kind of specialty class that you want to do along the way towards AOW (Nitrox is great if you don't have it already). The key here is that you should get to dive with your instructor as a buddy - a real plus for your first offshore dives.

If you have a choice, schedule the dives for early in the week. Then you can reschedule for later in the week if weather cancels the dive trip.

Olympus Dive Center (who probably has an ad on the top of this page) and Discovery Diving Co., Inc. - North Carolina Wreck Diving in the Graveyard of the Atlantic are the two major dive ops in the region. They both do a nice job, IMO, and it's easy to find good reviews about both.

Have a great trip-

Rich

That is excellent advice Rich.
We did our 1st NC dives on the Indra & did our Nitrox dives on her as well, back when you needed to do dives for that cert.
We used Discovery, & never regretted it.

Great advice, thanks.

I just finished my SDI deep, computer, night and nav classes over the last couple weeks and I fully agree with the concept of taking advantage of classes to dive with instructors. I'm trying to get Nitrox in before I go but the next time my LDS has a Nitrox class is the morning after I arrive in the OBX. I've gotta see if I can find someone else with a more compatible schedule.

Thanks again and happy diving.

I'm in Vienna JayJudge. I don't get lots of opportunities because of work and kids but if we can make schedules work I'd be glad to dive with you.

I dove the Indra with about 20 dives under my belt and it was a perfect first wreck dive for my experience level (also my first boat and ocean dive). Perfect place to get yourself comfortable. We also did the wreck specialty while we were out on her - perfect training ground - just remember that the penetration on this wreck is hardly a "real penetration". Great for practice, but more of a swim through than a penetration. I will not feel comfortable in a penetration anymore advanced for quite a while.

The great thing about the Indra is the lack of depth, meaning you can stay all day. Do yourself a favor though, get your hands on at least steel 100s. 120s are even better. I sorta remember my first wreck dives- over excited, suckin gas like no tommorrow, and man were they awesome. Now, just be warned the Indra's vis is nowhere near as good as the offshore wrecks.
-J

Rich and Jay offer sound advice. the Indra is a very good beginners wreck up there.

AL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom