Info Looking for advice Ocean Reef vs OTS FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I posted in the FFM forum but after about a week I haven't received any responses yet. Posting here in hopes of getting some opinions and suggestions. Thanks as always.

I just earned my Dry Suit Certification last weekend. I was diving with a 10mm hood, the water was only 40 degrees F and it wasn't bad but I'm going to be diving in southern Argentina in a few weeks and I have future trips planned for Norway, Iceland and other cold water regions over the next few years. My instructor had recommended that I should get a FFM for those colder regions as it would make diving more bearable. Based on recommendations and research I settled on Ocean Reef and OTS. I plan on using the FFM for recreational purposes and during cold water dives with my dry suit.

I was going to get a Ocean Reef but a friend said I should consider OTS. I've decided to come here to the boards to get some input and advice for when I head down to the store to try them out. IF they are equal and it's a personal preference thing, please let me know that as well. Any advice and pointers are greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance.

To my knowledge, it's largely a matter of personal preference between the two. I have experience with neither though, it's just what I've been told when asking a similar question.

I wonder if your instructor has much cold diving experience though. The water here is 2-3 degrees celcius right now, and nobody here uses full face masks. It feels cold on the face for a couple of mins after getting in, and your lips may be a bit numb after getting out, but it's by no means unbearable. A full face mask is a large solution to a very small (almost non existing) problem in my opinion.

Here from Argentina.
Where are you going to be diving down here and when ?
We are now in the middle of summer, so, unless you are diving in Usuahia, water temps are not so extreme, in the range of 14 to 8 celcius , depending on where. Some divers dive wetsuits.
Contact me if you need more local information.

I would fully focus on gaining experience diving dry before investing in a FFM; a properly fitting drysuit with the right underlayer choices makes a huge difference in coldwater diving (as recently certified drysuit diver you didn't mention if you were getting by with gear that fit "good enough" vs a drysuit and underlayers that fit optimally?).
Please note the above advice is based on winter diving experiences in New England USA as opposed to FFM experience, which I've only done armchair research on due to my interest in dramatically improved communication between diver and surface support vessel. Diving contaminated water and verbal communication among a dive team and/or surface are the two compelling reasons I see for a FFM. If truly needed, or simply desired, for extremely long dives in cold cold water heated undergarments for ascent phase/deco stops would be a better investment than FFM in my opinion...

To my knowledge, it's largely a matter of personal preference between the two. I have experience with neither though, it's just what I've been told when asking a similar question.

I wonder if your instructor has much cold diving experience though. The water here is 2-3 degrees celcius right now, and nobody here uses full face masks. It feels cold on the face for a couple of mins after getting in, and your lips may be a bit numb after getting out, but it's by no means unbearable. A full face mask is a large solution to a very small (almost non existing) problem in my opinion.
Ah ok thanks for the advice. I was pretty comfortable in 40 degree F water without it. I just assumed it was a necessary piece of gear to have for cold weather diving. Quick question, do you have an issue keeping the regulator in your mouth when your lips become numb?

Here from Argentina.
Where are you going to be diving down here and when ?
We are now in the middle of summer, so, unless you are diving in Usuahia, water temps are not so extreme, in the range of 14 to 8 celcius , depending on where. Some divers dive wetsuits.
Contact me if you need more local information.
I'm actually going to be in Usuahia in March, I'll have my drysuit with me. I actually have some dives already planned with Usuahia Divers.

I would fully focus on gaining experience diving dry before investing in a FFM; a properly fitting drysuit with the right underlayer choices makes a huge difference in coldwater diving (as recently certified drysuit diver you didn't mention if you were getting by with gear that fit "good enough" vs a drysuit and underlayers that fit optimally?).
Please note the above advice is based on winter diving experiences in New England USA as opposed to FFM experience, which I've only done armchair research on due to my interest in dramatically improved communication between diver and surface support vessel. Diving contaminated water and verbal communication among a dive team and/or surface are the two compelling reasons I see for a FFM. If truly needed, or simply desired, for extremely long dives in cold cold water heated undergarments for ascent phase/deco stops would be a better investment than FFM in my opinion...
My drysuit was not custom fitted BUT it fit me like a glove. Depending on my body weight, I'm usually at 8-12 pounds of weight in fresh water. I had 24 pounds and it was perfect, the undergarments fit fine and kept me warm. I do plan on doing extra dives before my trip but I am happy and satisfied with my drysuit. Seems like for the diving that I'll be doing, a FFM is a bit of overkill. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks everyone for your input, this is why I like coming to this board. I was set and ready to drop some cash and buy a FFM but based on the responses it's not really needed for rec diving and it sounds like it may be somewhat of an overkill.

Quick question, do you have an issue keeping the regulator in your mouth when your lips become numb?
I do not :) Some luxury animals use a so-called lip shield to protect the lips from some of the cold, but I've never found it necessary.

Oh one more thing, the only thing uncomfortable about my dry suit setup is doing a shore dive. That 24 pounds was very heavy and it took a bit more effort than usual getting geared up and wading out. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom