Looking for advice on hard case for Nauticam, Sony A7r2, ports etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huddy911

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Recently got a Nauticam housing for my SonyA7r2. I love this setup with the Sea & Sea Strobes but it is weildy when traveling. Been splitting the equipment into two bags but am in the market for a hard bag that I can "carry on" with wheels that might hold camera, strobes, arms , ports, lens, arms etc. Interested in how others do this? I currently have a Lowepro 22x16x9 soft roller. It wont quite handle everything.

Just got the Pelican 1615 air. It will not go as a carry on but it holds everything. Other than that I tried 5 different hard cases with none of them holding all and still being a carry on.

I use the Think Tank Photo Airport Takeoff. It fits my DSLR housing, macro port, mini dome, viewfinder, 2 Ys-D2 strobes and my big Mac laptop. Along with other bits and pieces including extra batteries etc. It fits in the small overhead compartments on the smaller planes so I never have to check it. It can also be used as a backpack.

Think Tank Photo Airport TakeOff Rolling Camera Bag (Black) 498

The pelican hard case that is for carry-on is the 1510 but it won't fit as much as the TakeOff.
pelican 1510 | B&H Photo Video

Last edited:
Recently got a Nauticam housing for my SonyA7r2. I love this setup with the Sea & Sea Strobes but it is weildy when traveling. Been splitting the equipment into two bags but am in the market for a hard bag that I can "carry on" with wheels that might hold camera, strobes, arms , ports, lens, arms etc. Interested in how others do this? I currently have a Lowepro 22x16x9 soft roller. It wont quite handle everything.
bad news. your lowepro is now too big for carry on. the new size is 22x14x9. if your gear does not fit in your lowpro, it will not fit in a bag 2 inches smaller. you need to adjust what you carry with you.

for carry on i use a soft sided lowpro backpack. no need for hardside if you are not checking it.

I use a back-pack PORTER 46 - Osprey Packs Official Site
It is only 1.5kgs but very sturdy. I then have a soft insert in it Professional DSLR Camera Bag Insert Backpack Flexible Partition Folding Bag Case. There is still a lot of room for boxes with batteries, chargers, laptop...

I also have a Pelican case and find that for the size it fits a lot less and is a lot heavier. But the big advantage of the backpack is I can put in on my back and not have to lug it, I still have clothes and dive gear!

I went with a Tenba carry on case, I believe it was this one.

Roadie Large — Black | 638-328

fits my A7R Natucaim Housing, port, extension ring, 2 YS-D1 Strobes, 22" of Ultralight arms and all my accessories. I like having it as a cary on because if they loose all my crap, I at least have my underwater housing :)
DSC00002.JPG

Looking at all your equipment. I just got my nauticam for my A7R2 and was wondering if it was safe to keep the camera in case the entire time? Will the pressure change on the plane be an issue? Should I be taking the camera out of the case and putting it in it's own slot in my pelican 1510?

Looking at all your equipment. I just got my nauticam for my A7R2 and was wondering if it was safe to keep the camera in case the entire time? Will the pressure change on the plane be an issue? Should I be taking the camera out of the case and putting it in it's own slot in my pelican 1510?
I keep my body in my housing, in my carry-on. I don't have port on my housing when transporting so I don't have to worry about the pressure. If you are concerned take the Oring out when transporting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom