Looking for advice, trip to Honolulu early August, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwalko

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all:

I need some advice. I am planning a trip to Honolulu early August 2010. This will probably be my one and only chance to get to Hawaii. I am coming partially for business, partially for pleasure. I plan on bringing my wife and two teenage daughters. Please help me figure out how to make this a great vacation for them.

My plan is to take care of my business meetings when I first arrive, so we can relax the rest of the trip. Because of they way they are scheduled, I'll probably arrange the trip from Wednesday to Wednesday or maybe Wednesday until the following Thursday. My client will be picking up my airfare and a couple of nights hotel, but not the whole hotel cost for the trip (they'll pay for 3 nights). I can't afford to spend a fortune on the trip, but want something nice for the family.

My questions are as follows:

1. My older daughter (OW diver) and I would like to get at least one day of diving in (my wife and other daughter do not dive). If we are staying on Honolulu, where is the best place for us to dive (Dive Op?) for an easy two tank day and what can my wife do while we are gone for the day (please note that I'll be missing at least one other day with the family due to business obligation...so I need something for them to do that day as well...any recommendations would be appreciated).
2. My wife loves the beach and the ocean...but isn't so much into sightseeing or tours. What recommendations would you offer regarding places to stay within walking distance to the water/beach.
3. What are "must do" types of things while we are there (Luau, Pearl Harbor, Waikiki Beach, and those types of things)?
4. Should we schedule a trip to any of the other islands while we are there (unfortunately, we can only stay a week...so don't have a lot of time). We do want to "experience" Hawaii.
5. What is a decent per night cost (average) for hotel rooms for four people? I've been told to expect $250/night...is that high, average or low? Should I be looking at renting a condo instead (would probably prefer to cook at least some of our own meals anyway).
6. Any good shore dives on Honolulu?
7. Can we get around without a car...or is a rental pretty much a necessity?

Thanks;

John Walko

Hey John,

Since it's your first time here, you might just want to base in Waikiki. Rent the condo if it's going to work out better for meals and such and look around on VRBO is Vacation Rentals By Owner for vacation rentals.

As far as beach time, there are plenty of them. Accessible by bus if needed but a car certainly helps access remote locations like the North Shore. Finally, not sure an the cost but you can cut down greatly if you do book a full week with a private owned vacation rental. If Waikiki is too busy and touristy for you you may want to think about renting on on a quiet beach like Waimanalo or Lanikai.

Finally, the diving might still be nice up on the North Shore, otherwise an afternoon shallow two tank diive would probably be best for you. Why not take the Advanced Course while you are here?

G

I apologize in advance; I was raised by teachers. You are raising kids; set a good example.

Honolulu is a city. Oahu is the Island. We do things on Oahu and in Honolulu, but never on Honolulu. Diving happens off Oahu, off the North Shore, off Waikiki, etc.

The best shore diving Oahu has to offer is off the North Shore. It is summer diving. August is still summer. Pupukea Marine Life Conservation District includes Sharks Cove and Three Tables, which are not only great dive sites they are great beach/ocean areas. They would not be a protected area without Deep Ecology Dive Shop's efforts.

If I was only working 3 days in "town" I would spend the rest of my stay on the North Shore and shore dive with Deep Ecology. Your wife and other daughter could hang out on shore while you two dive. :)

Hey John,

Since it's your first time here, you might just want to base in Waikiki. Rent the condo if it's going to work out better for meals and such and look around on VRBO is Vacation Rentals By Owner for vacation rentals.

As far as beach time, there are plenty of them. Accessible by bus if needed but a car certainly helps access remote locations like the North Shore. Finally, not sure an the cost but you can cut down greatly if you do book a full week with a private owned vacation rental. If Waikiki is too busy and touristy for you you may want to think about renting on on a quiet beach like Waimanalo or Lanikai.

Finally, the diving might still be nice up on the North Shore, otherwise an afternoon shallow two tank diive would probably be best for you. Why not take the Advanced Course while you are here?

G

Thanks for the advice...I briefly looked at the vacation rental web site. That is exactly what I was looking for. Regarding the AOW, it is something I want to do. Could you send me a PM with costs and such...maybe we can do that when there (I assume we could do that with you...correct).

John

halemanō;5278585:
I apologize in advance; I was raised by teachers. You are raising kids; set a good example.

Honolulu is a city. Oahu is the Island. We do things on Oahu and in Honolulu, but never on Honolulu. Diving happens off Oahu, off the North Shore, off Waikiki, etc.

The best shore diving Oahu has to offer is off the North Shore. It is summer diving. August is still summer. Pupukea Marine Life Conservation District includes Sharks Cove and Three Tables, which are not only great dive sites they are great beach/ocean areas. They would not be a protected area without Deep Ecology Dive Shop's efforts.

If I was only working 3 days in "town" I would spend the rest of my stay on the North Shore and shore dive with Deep Ecology. Your wife and other daughter could hang out on shore while you two dive. :)

Thanks for the reply...actually I had to laugh to myself, because I was raised by teachers as well (so much for me setting an example). Although, in my defense, "I" is right next to the "O" on the keyboard, so I'm going to blame fat fingers (that's my story anyway).

Out of curiosity, does it make more sense to book the lodging on the North Shore and drive to Honolulu or is it too far of a drive? The alternative would be to stay for a couple of nights in Honolulu and then move to the North Shore area after I am done.

John

2. My wife loves the beach and the ocean...but isn't so much into sightseeing or tours. What recommendations would you offer regarding places to stay within walking distance to the water/beach.

If you stay in Waikiki, most of the hotels are within a couple short blocks of the ocean. Beachfront hotels are more expensive, of course.

One condo-style hotel that comes to mind is the Waikiki Banyan on the east end of Waikiki near Diamond Head. It's about one block from the beach, inexpensive and decent rooms.

Speaking of Diamond Head, your wife and non-diving daughter might consider hiking to the top one morning while you're diving. Great views of the southern side of the island. Take a small flashlight, though -- one of the tunnels on the way to the top is dark (unless they've installed lights over the past few years).

3. What are "must do" types of things while we are there (Luau, Pearl Harbor, Waikiki Beach, and those types of things)?

Diamond Head hike (above) is nice if you don't mind an easy hike uphill for about 45 minutes. Take a hat and sunscreen too. It gets hot.

One of the night time luau shows is kind of fun -- Germaine's Luau or Paradise Cove.

A drive around the island, stopping off at various scenic spots if you have a car and don't mind a little sightseeing. Nice stop off points if you drive from Waikiki and go around the island counter-clockwise might be: Hanauma Bay, Blow Hole, Sandy Beach (don't go in the water!), Makapuu, Lanikai, Chinaman's Hat, North Shore, Haleiwa town, Dole Pineapple Plantation.

4. Should we schedule a trip to any of the other islands while we are there (unfortunately, we can only stay a week...so don't have a lot of time). We do want to "experience" Hawaii.

The other islands are really different from Oahu, but the side trip will be a bit expensive and may not be feasible time-wise.

7. Can we get around without a car...or is a rental pretty much a necessity?

I'd recommend renting a car if possible. Public transportation on Oahu isn't the greatest and taxis are hard to find outside of the main tourist routes.

Would you consider going to maui for the pleasure part of the trip ? Due to the time diffrence between EST and Hawaii you will be waking up very early. Maui offers some very good shore dives. Rent a tank in the afternoon, then when you wake up at 4 am drive to one of the state parks and suit up. Start the dive as a night dive and by the time your done, the sun is up. The parks have fresh water shower rinses to boot. You will still have all day to spend with your family on a more laid back island. About 5 years ago a one bedroom condo was 85 per night one block from the ocean. The big island (think manti night dives) or kauai might be more family oriented.

Out of curiosity, does it make more sense to book the lodging on the North Shore and drive to Honolulu or is it too far of a drive? The alternative would be to stay for a couple of nights in Honolulu and then move to the North Shore area after I am done.

A decent condo on the North Shore is going to be at least an hour drive to "town" at 8 AM. Waikiki is fun for a few days and reasonable accommodations can be had just a few blocks from the beach. Plus, you will have a better appreciation of the "country" after staying in the concrete jungle. There is really only a sliver of Honolulu with places to stay; from Ala Moana Mall/hotel to the Convention Center on the north side of the Ala Wai canal. I prefer the other end of Waikiki, the end of the Ala Wai, close to the zoo and park. :crafty:

Look at this link. Google Maps

halemanō;5281118:
A decent condo on the North Shore is going to be at least an hour drive to "town" at 8 AM. Waikiki is fun for a few days and reasonable accommodations can be had just a few blocks from the beach. Plus, you will have a better appreciation of the "country" after staying in the concrete jungle. There is really only a sliver of Honolulu with places to stay; from Ala Moana Mall/hotel to the Convention Center on the north side of the Ala Wai canal. I prefer the other end of Waikiki, the end of the Ala Wai, close to the zoo and park. :crafty:

Look at this link. Google Maps

This is great...thanks for the information.

John Walko

Gabes group (scottitheduck) is a good group to boat dive with and I do believe that he can assist you with some shore diving to (so I heard). he also is an instructor, owns his company, and dives daily. I recommend using him if you want to work on your AOW. By giving him notice sooner vice later he can set up dives around your schedule as well.

You can check Gabe out at:
Kaimana Divers: SCUBA Diving in Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, Waikiki
or his blog at:
Latest Waikiki Scuba Dive Report from Kaimana Divers, Honolulu Hawaii

As far as things to do, if you are into historical stuff, Pearl Harbor is a must see. You can visit the Arizona and the Missouri during the same day, plus see the Bowfin (WW2 US Submarine).

If you are looking for a Luau, my recommendation is Paradise Cove. You can catch their shuttle from downtown Waikiki.

Aloha,

Glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom