Looking for Aldora Alternative - 2/25/17 Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorje mentioned that they were already renting another boat right now so I think that is correct. It could currently be a case of high season having everyone maxed out- plus I'm just a single on short notice. I am surprised there hasn't been at least a night or twilight or shark cave slot (haven't had 3 others willing to do that when I was here yet) or anything open all week.

Harbor is closed today anyway so time to catch more Zs and relax.

Jorje mentioned that they were already renting another boat right now so I think that is correct. It could currently be a case of high season having everyone maxed out- plus I'm just a single on short notice. I am surprised there hasn't been at least a night or twilight or shark cave slot (haven't had 3 others willing to do that when I was here yet) or anything open all week. Harbor is closed today anyway so time to catch more Zs and relax.

Well that's good to hear. I mean, we all have our favorite dive ops but we were also all "first timers" with our dive ops at one point. A dive op that would kick new customers/divers off to cater to repeat divers who have "priority" is not going to grow and is, in fact, on the decline even though they may not know it. Regardless of the business anyone may be in, you NEVER EVER turn away a new customer because the competition will make room for them and you'll never see those customers again.

Many years ago I managed a high-end restaurant. There was always a long wait and primarily it was reservations only but we always saved some tables for walk-ins. One night I saw our Maitre'd pocketing a $20 bill from a repeat, well known, customer who didn't make reservations that night and didn't want to wait at the bar. I said nothing to my Maitre'd at the time but upon closing I told him there was no need for him to come back tomorrow and I hoped the $20 from Mr. such and such was worth it. He was well paid but despite my training he chose to ignore the big picture... Probably a host at Applebee's today where he can save on suits, shirts and ties. Greedy idiot.

Last edited:
Dear Deepsea21,

Just so you know, we do try to keep reservations at a level that we can always support. However, as stated, our policy is to always accept returning guests if there is any way possible—and there are lots of ways.

First: We normally limit our dive groups to 6 divers per group, that is as opposed to most of the others in Cozumel who take the legal limit of 8. We feel smaller groups equal safer and more enjoyable dives. However, it is not a big stretch to make it dive groups of 7.

Secondly, given that we do have 9 boats that makes room for 9 more surprise guests.

Third: It is not too difficult for us to rent other boats.

I hope that reduces your anxiety.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dear Deepsea21,
Secondly, given that we do have 9 boats that makes room for 9 more surprise guests..

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

When I started with Aldora they had two boats. At one time I taxied to Meridiano 87 just north of El Cid to board the boat.

Did the OP ever come back and report on his trip?

Not that the following is typical but on one trip my first dive was Maracaibo. What a great dive site. The next day...Barracuda.

Dear ScubaD1veDIV.

I am so sorry that you were given incorrect information about availability for your returning divers. It has been our policy for more than 20 years to guaranty space for those who have been loyal to us. While we do sometimes limit access (especially at Christmas) to make sure that we can always deliver top notch service, we do retain some redundancy and back ups, thus I know that we can easily take care of you…no matter what.

Recently we have had some changes in the reservation staff and that policy concept may haver fallen through the cracks…or they forgot to ask.

We will be delighted to have you dive with us, as many days as you want. IF you wish you can call me on my US phone 830 460-0667 (works in Mexico).

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
... Dave's the best!

Well that's good to hear. I mean, we all have our favorite dive ops but we were also all "first timers" with our dive ops at one point. A dive op that would kick new customers/divers off to cater to repeat divers who have "priority" is not going to grow and is, in fact, on the decline even though they may not know it. Regardless of the business anyone may be in, you NEVER EVER turn away a new customer because the competition will make room for them and you'll never see those customers again.

Many years ago I managed a high-end restaurant. There was always a long wait and primarily it was reservations only but we always saved some tables for walk-ins. One night I saw our Maitre'd pocketing a $20 bill from a repeat, well known, customer who didn't make reservations that night and didn't want to wait at the bar. I said nothing to my Maitre'd at the time but upon closing I told him there was no need for him to come back tomorrow and I hoped the $20 from Mr. such and such was worth it. He was well paid but despite my training he chose to ignore the big picture... Probably a host at Applebee's today where he can save on suits, shirts and ties. Greedy idiot.
I actually know the guy you are talking about. He said being fired by you was the best thing that ever happened to him. He is doing very well for himself.

Dave... I hope this doesn't mean you tell any divers who already booked that they are getting kicked off the schedule with their $ refunded to make room for returning Aldora customers who get priority per this policy. Does this policy extend to a group of prior Aldora divers who may call a week before their arrival? Would Aldora kick a group of new divers out and refund their money even if they booked a year in advance because they don't have prior diver status/priority?

Every diver be they decade long returning customers or new divers to a dive op should have 100% equal and fair access to the spaces available without favoritism. "Ya snooze ya lose" is a policy everyone understands and has worked for a long, long time.

I cannot imagine a dive op cancelling existing reservations to accommodate returning customers. Aldora's certainly not going to.
Available space is available space.
But when those decades-long returning customers call, extraordinary measures to get them diving seem reasonable to me. But cancelling existing reservations? No. Just no.

I think my next trip down I think I want to come with a group of divers sufficient to marshall a whole boat. Showing up as a single diver without an advanced reservation taught me what I would miss from Aldora. I also found a more than accommodating op for the second half of the 10 days so now my backup is covered too. /firstWorldProblemsInParadise

Sorry we didn’t catch up with you Sallye. This was a different kind of “flow with” trip bringing the baby and I didn't end up pulling together any randoms to come hunt, even though the second shop was game to do it. I wasn’t allowed to bring my spear for the first 2 of 3 Lion Fish I saw in 11 dives. The third wasn’t so lucky. Statistically 3 out of 11 is barely anecdotal but it seems like there are a lot less Lions in the park than we were getting a few years ago- that is a win if that's true. I guess next time it's deeper or more North for our ceviche.

Happy you were able to get wet, Jason, even if it wasn't optimal. Glad you caught up with that third lionfish! Numbers are definitely down, even in a lot of those out-of-the-way places we like. Coming in a group can be really convenient, but advanced reservations are the bottom line, as you now know!
Sorry we didn't catch up, too. You'll be back soon, though, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom