Looking for an easily accessable dive site on LI NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wacdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for an easily accessable dive site on Long Island NY. or near by area. I'm a newbie (15 or so dives) and I also have Muscular Dystrophy so I have physical limits (no long stair cases or rough surf entries) I wil be diving with a Fresh Newbie (she has only her Checkout dives) she will be assisting me with gear and such. We are just looking for a place to practice our skills and to get some bottom time.
Any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited.
Thanks
WAC :42:

HI-
You don't say what part of Long Island you are near or want to dive. I can recommend Fort Pond Bay in Montauk as a place with no surf, no stairs or hills and only a very short walk from the parking area to the water. The entry is almost level into the water. Not a lot to see that I have found, at least from beach area site. I understand there are some things that may be of interest farther out, but would require a very long swim or boat access. You might pick up a copy of Dan Berg's "Long Island Shore Diver" for some more ideas. Unfortunately, most of Long Island's shore is bordered by private land or has no parking unless you are a town resident. Hope you'll get some more responses from some of the locals who may be able to help more.

Thanks DiverRick69 I'll look into it.
I was looking for something a bit closer to Queens, Nassau but if I gotta go out east then east it is.
:rock_band

wacdiver:
I am looking for an easily accessable dive site on Long Island NY. or near by area. I'm a newbie (15 or so dives) and I also have Muscular Dystrophy so I have physical limits (no long stair cases or rough surf entries) I wil be diving with a Fresh Newbie (she has only her Checkout dives) she will be assisting me with gear and such. We are just looking for a place to practice our skills and to get some bottom time.
Any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited.
Thanks
WAC :42:
Beach 6th st in rockaway is a pretty accessible site. The currents can be a bit tricky but if you stay near the jetties its divable more than just slack tide.

check out www.northeastaquanauts.com
its a dive club based out of queens.. Alot of the member dive there on a regular basis and can probably show you the site, and after you get a bit more experience you can do a drift to the atlantic beach bridge with some of the regulars..

www.northeastaquanauts.com Thanks I'll look into it.

I did my OW cert dives at Beach 8th st "Almost Paradise" is this the same locale?
I heard that Almost paradise is now closed so I wasn't sure how accessable the site is anymore. Where to park, where to gain access to the water and all that. I don't want to get tickets nor do I want to be tresspassing to get to the water
If anyone has been there recently please give a shout

For access to the same beach as Almost Paradise, park on Beach 8th street, turn onto Beach 9th and then make the 1st left and the 1st right. There is on street parking there and stairs down to the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom