Looking for Best Instructor for child in Ky

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shogan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Folks!

My daughter turns 10 this June and wants to get certified :D

So I'm looking for the best dive instructor/class for kids.

I had really wanted to start a drawn out winter class meeting everyweek like I did 27 years ago but they don't seem to do it that way anymore.

Any recommendations would be great! We are outside of Louisville but would consider some travel.

Thanks.

What we do here in NY is only offer private classes to 10/11 year old kids.The parent is free to participate if they like.In fact we encourage it.We do not have 10/11 year old children in a regular scheduled class with other students as we feel it is a distraction for all involved,as with someone so young ,they may hold up the rest of the class and that is not fair to all invloved.Also a person so young may have a short attention span and requires a 1 to 1 ratio.I would suggest that you find a facility/instructor that can offer a private course and that they are able to offer a very flexible schedule for you.Best would be a facility that has its own onsite heated pool,their scheduling will not be dependent on a rented pools schedule.

What area are you in would be the first question that comes to mind. I know you aren't in NY and really don't want to travel that far. But there are several instructors in Lexington that are good if you are close to that area

I'm Shelbyville so Louisville and Lexington are both options.

Would also conider a camp somewhere.

It would be great to be present during class with her so that I could reinforce after the class what she learns.

Ok so far here is what I've found. No open flaming please if you have insight on one shop/instructor please send me a message.

1. Drive 3 hours to Scuba Nashville for about 3 weekends. They would let me basically do this on my own terms any weekend I wanted. So if I wanted to go every other weekend that's fine. And then they would follow up with the open water dive after her Birthday (could possibly even do that at Dalehollow or pennyroyal). I would spend more in gas but the class was the cheapest and it would be about a break even deal (except drive time) the nice thing is we could go once a month or more for extra pool time for $5 to keep things fresh and repetition is good in my book. (PADI) cost $225 for the whole kit plus $50 a trip in gas. Would focus on study at home!

2. Here local at paradise for about $300 (winter special) go twice a week for 3 weeks and then finish up in summer time with open water dive (SSI). Upon questioning he said she could come back for more pool time if she wanted.

3. Across the river in Clarksville In Seaweed divers basically offering a 1 on 1 kind of deal $400. He also would like to stear me to the kids program but I think he would do the 1 on 1 program.

4. Louisville Dive Center said we would have to wait for June and do the 1 week course kids course. They will only put her in the pool at the age of 9 if she is enrolled in the ranger program (not the dive certification program). I like this idea the least though they seemed like a nice shop. (cost is somewhere around $350 to 400). But again this is a M-S 1 week deal 3-4 pool session depending on kids.

I think teaching a 10 year old would be more of a task than I would want to take on. I would pick option 4 if it were me. They are set up specifically to teach kids, and the kids will reinforce each others behavior. Of course, that could be a bad thing.....

Is option #1, 1 on 1 training? If so, I vote for that one. Sounds like it would be a fun adventure for you and your daughter.

Julie (not the same one who posted above)

No the one in Nashville would be in a class setting. I got the impression he just plans to spend every Sat at the pool and would work with folks at various levels. I really like option 1 as well he sounded very much like he would work with me. allowing as much supervised pool time at a reasonable price is way cool and if he were close there would be no discussion about where I would go.

We are going to go meet option 2 and 3 later today. I'm leaning towards the 1 on 1 deal optioin 3.

option 2 is very appealing because he is in very close proximity to an area I frequent but he teaches in a very small pool

I got my cert at Louisville Dive shop. I think they are a great bunch of guys they been in the bussiness for over 30 years. They seem to be willing to work with you in any way I know they will give lessons about any way you need them. Give them a call 502-368-8427

Thanks for everyone's advice I think I have a plan worked out with the Louisville Dive Shop. I went over there and they agrreed to let her enter the class in March, and continue pool work until her Birthday under the ranger program.

I see it as a win win.

I'm also going to get me nephew over there for some pool time he got certified last year and he needs more time in the water.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom