Looking for dive buddies 12/22-12/24 in/around Ginnie Springs, Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aileen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone -

I'll be in Jax, FL on Sunday, 12/21 to visit family and friends. I'd like to sneak in some diving in/around Ginnie Springs and Crystal River before X-mas. Unfortunately none of my family/friends dive :shakehead:, so I'm hoping to find some buddies to join me. Here's my tentative plan:

Monday, Dec. 22
  • Around 8am or 5pm: Dive Ginnie Springs or Devil's Springs (If I can find a buddy. Note I don't have a cavern/cave cert )
  • 12:30pm: Dive Devil's Den and Blue Grotto (guided dives)

Tuesday, Dec. 23
  • 7am: Snorkel with manatees, dive Crystal River (guided dive)
  • 1pm: Rainbow River (Guided dive. A friend suggested I do this as a night dive, but I would need another person to sign up...anyone interested?)

Wed, Dec. 24: No dives planned, but open to morning dives at Ginnie Springs

The guided dives will be through American Pro Diving, which was recommended by someone in my local dive group. This is my first "trip" as a single diver, so I'd love to meet some peeps from SB - the more, the merrier! I'm fairly flexible, but would like to book any guided dives before Wed, Dec. 17.

I also welcome any tips, suggestions, etc. I'm excited!

Cheers,
Aileen

P.S. I dive "HOG/DIR" style in case it matters.

Last edited:
P.S. I dive "HOG/DIR" style in case it matters.

:rofl3: You'll get no funny looks, that's 'sop' in cave country..... :D

I'm not sure exactly what my schedule will look like, but I'll be coming back through there on the 24th or 25th. If I'm around on the 24th, I'll be more than happy to hop onto Ginnie with you.

Sounds like you have a nice few days set up, should be great.

Remember that when at Ginnie, you can't take lights anywhere near Devil's if you aren't at least Cavern:no:. Everywhere else you'll be OK though. Devil's Eye is nice for a competent OW diver to check out w/o any lights. Devil's Ear, on the other hand, isn't quite as friendly.

I'm sure AmPro will take care of you everywhere else!

Have fun

Lee

Lee, let's touch base next week; hopefully we can meet up on the 24th.

If anyone is free on Dec 22/23, I can meet up when I'm not on the following guided dives:
  • Mon: 1PM Blue Grotto and Devil's Den
  • Tues: 7AM Crystal River; 1PM Rainbow River (may turn into a night dive)
I'd like to dive Ginnie Springs 1-2x to become familiar with the area before I come back in the spring to take classes.

Last edited:
Cool! It's not that common here in Chicago.

IID out in Glen Ellyn and Scuba Systems in Skokie were the only shops with anything remotely tech when I lived downtown...

The Tritons had a few active tech folks and made great mentors, tho the vast majority were warm water travelers and social divers...

-Tim

It looks like there are several options for lodging in Crystal River. Can anyone tell me if it's worth the extra $40+ to stay at Best Western for the night?

Thanks,
Aileen

It looks like there are several options for lodging in Crystal River. Can anyone tell me if it's worth the extra $40+ to stay at Best Western for the night?

Thanks,
Aileen

As opposed to.....?

Another local accommodation....?
Or driving all the way from JAX.....?

The Manatee trips are VERY early in the morning.... by all means crash locally the night prior...

I was thinking of staying at a cheaper place in Crystal River because it's only one night, and I might to do a tandem skydive on Friday...

My nephew and I will be diving Ginnie on 12/24 probably getting there around 9/10 am. Neither of us is cavern certified, so we'll be doing the ballroom and the eye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom