Looking for dive op recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gryffin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are planning a weeklong trip in early March. This will be our third trip to Grand Cayman and our third dive trip. We have just under 20 dives each, including our certification dives, but I still feel very much like a beginner and tend to be anxious about my safety. I've considered whether I should continue diving at all, but I really do enjoy it and want to try to see if I get more comfortable as I gain experience. I'm interested in recommendations for a dive shop that makes safety a top priority, that will be patient with a newer anxious diver and above all, will help make this trip a good experience for us. We will likely want to hire a private guide so that I don't have to worry about keeping up with the more experienced divers on the boat.

I have some concerns about the operators we have used in the past- for example, the DM/guides at one operator were spear fishing for lion fish without a containment system which I later learned is not legal in Grand Cayman.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

There are many fine dive ops on Grand Cayman; where will you be staying? You might take a look at Cayman University Divers, see the link below. They have a small (but very nice!) boat and never take more than 6 divers - and they give you a lot of personal attention.

Cayman University Divers

Hi-

Thanks for the recommendation.

We have rented a small condo on 7MB. We managed to get a good deal on one in the fall and are getting a discounted rate for March because we are return guests.

Hi-

Thanks for the recommendation.

We have rented a small condo on 7MB. We managed to get a good deal on one in the fall and are getting a discounted rate for March because we are return guests.

Sounds great! Are you planning to rent a car? Most West Bay dive ops will pick you up but that is another factor to consider.

BTW, where did you learn about the requirements for a lionfish containment system? I checked the Cayman department of environment regulations and also the safe diving standards and I didn't find it. Maybe it is something new.

Hi-

We will rent a car. We like having the flexibility of getting around on our own when we need to.

I read about the lion fish containment requirement system here:
When Danger Approaches | Cayman Islands Diving | iDive Blog

The shop wasn't doing a "fish feeding show" for entertainment purposes, I do think that their motive was to help reduce the number of lionfish on the reef. Maybe it is a relatively new regulation.

My suggestions on SMB would be Ambassador Divers - based at Comfort Suites (boats iin a nearby marina) or Neptune's Divers. Both run safe operations. Another option is Indigo Divers. I haven't dove with them.

Bad dive operations don't last long on Cayman - it's a pretty competitive market since all charge about the same.

Last edited:
My suggestions go on SMB would be Ambassador Divers - based at Comfort Suites (boats iin a nearby marina) or Neptune's Divers.
More of an upscale operation at about the same rate is Indigo Divers. I haven't dove with them.

Bad dive operations don't last long on Cayman - it's a pretty competitive market since all charge about the same and most offer pickup.

I have had a great experience with Neptunes Divers. The first time I used them was also at about the 20 dive mark, and they tailored the dives to our comfort level. I had avoided some of the other ops as many of them do a 100' first dive, and suggested I just hang at 60' - which would have essentially made me a solo diver. Neptunes runs a small boat and they were very safety conscious.

I did AOW on grand cayman (after 30 dives) and now feel OK with the 100' dives, so that may be something to think about while you are there. I did it with Living the Dream, another great dive op, and the cost was pretty much what it would have been to do the dives anyway, but with a private guide/instructor.

I really liked Divers Down - small groups - max 8 and great service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom