looking for eagle rays in Coz.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will be going to Coz in a few weeks. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to see some eagle rays. Some animals stay in the same area. I hope to find some, so if any of you could help please let me know. Thank you.

Hi Max,

They've been exceptionally numerous on Coz for about 2 months now, albeit not like your mating squid. Sightings are now regulary reported from the far south to far north of the west side of the island. These creaures are not tightly territorial, and move some distance during any given day.

Very best bets at present seem to be Barricuda and nearby up north sites.

If you're going in 2 weeks, and diving for a week, I'd say your chance of multiple sightings approaches 100%.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Check with the small dive operator on the water between Hotel Baracuda and Los Glorais. Paul ,,, on one dive I saw 30 eagle rays. The day befor he had seen 23. He knows the place. If they are there , he'll show you. Tell him I sent you.

adios don O

Normally around now, the eagle rays begin to go deeper into the ocean and the sightings of the "flocks" are fewer...

Rumor has it from the dive shops that have recently gone up north looking for them... that they have left us a little earlier because of the large amounts of rain that has fallen in the past 2-3 days. (and let me tell you... there has been a TON of rain!!!)

We had the eagle ray dive scheduled for today, but we´ve decided to go elsewhere, because we don´t think the eagle rays are there anymore...

So, in anycase, if you are goign to see them, the will be up north.

Good luck! Let us know if you manage to see them!!!

Achu

My husband and I just returned last week from a
trip to Cancun/Cozumel.
On Sunday (our first dive) we went with Manta Divers out of Cancun to the C-58 (Anya) wreck (85').
Because of the currents we had a difficult time decending, I was the first to give up and got back on the boat.
The boat master, handed me two more weights and told me to try again. Took me back to the entry point and I jumped back in.
Manage to get down and swam towards the wreck to find one of the divemasters, waiting for someone to show up......
I quickly realized I was the only one who actually made it.
The dive master (Juan) signaled me to come closer....as I did, I saw the largest most graceful eagle ray ever!!! He slowly circled the wreck, three times!!! I was running out of air (used most trying to get down the first time), but didn't want to leave........the dive master showed me he had plenty of air so I took his spare and we stayed for a few more minutes while filming him........
The saftey stop was difficult as we had to lock arms & legs to stay together at 20' due to the currents.....it was an awesome sight.
I was very sad that my husband did not get to see ......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom