looking for fish id app or software for apple computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelinman2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I've been searching for ipad apps or software. I would like info specifically about caribbean reef critters--found an app for Hawaii and some for salt water fishing, but I'm really not sure if these work for this. There's a great reef id cd but its for pc only. Is there anything out there for apple computers to educate me more? Thanks, travelinman.

Not an app per se, but you can get the Reef Fish ID ebook on Blio, along with the Blio app for iPad. Currently only the Tropical/Pacific one is available, but I believe the Carribean one is in the works.

I don't think of the iPad as an "Apple Computer", only Macs, but I guess that's just semantics. But since you're after an iPad app...

See Audubon Tropical Fishes App It's no longer 99 cents as reported here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bo...shid-iphone-app-99-cents-until-1-31-12-a.html but back to $4.99.

I have it on my iPod touch, and it's not bad, we've used it to ID a couple of fish. I'd rather have Humann & Deloach, but sometimes you just might find, you get what you need...

Thanks for your responses. I'll look into them. I do wish that Humann's reef fish identification CD was compatible with mac rather than windows only.

google "reef quiz" You will find basic and advanced quizzes. As you go through the answers you get more information on how to id the pictured fish. Play with it for a while and you will be at least "competent". I also have most the Humann/Deloach books but they are pretty heavy to lug around on trips.

...found an app for Hawaii...
What did you find for Hawaii? Where did you find it?

When you are in Cozumel, you can take the REEF Fish ID course to learn fish families, habitats & behaviors -- a great foundation for further learning via reference books & software.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom