Looking for help with Key Largo diving....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lardo5150

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is WAY in advance, but I am a big time planner :)

Flying into Miami in October, and driving the Keys.
Want to get one day, maybe two depending on time, of diving in.
I ran a search on the board. Looks like there is a TON of operators down there.
It will be me and my girlfriend, but she does not dive, so I am going to have to find an outfit that can fit me in somewhere. I am padi certified, dived in Cabo and locally (yes there is diving around St. Louis:wink: ). I have made over 7 dives since I became certified last year, but have not tracked them in my log book (yes I know, lazy)
Here are my questions.
How is diving in October (banking on there will be no hurricane)
I am reading that Largo is better than West to dive in.
Money is not a problem.
I have seen several operators that have been recommended on the board.
scubadoo
Quiescence
conchrepublic
blusewaterdiver.net
and a few that actually post on the board.

What do you all think, one diver trying to get in on a day of diving. All of these sound good, I am just looking for an outfit that will treat me well.

There seem to be so many dive sites to, that is not really a concern, as long as I can see some colorful fish :D

Quiescence treated us really well, but the operators who are active participants on this Board seem to be highly spoken of. The only problem I see is that without AOW, or log entries for deep dives over 80', you will most likely be restricted on where they can take you. However, even the "reefs" are very enjoyable. You will have a great time.

Key Largo is a great place to dive, anytime, and you've done your research on dive ops already so I'm piping in for your girlfriend's sake: the reefs out of Key Largo are pretty shallow and the vis is excellent. Even if your girlfriend doesn't dive, she could easily snorkel the same locations you'll be diving on and she'll have plenty to see. There are always snorkelers holding a line from a boat over the reefs while we're diving... the waters are that good.

Taking your girlfriend along as a snorkler is a great idea! Silent World does take divers and snorkelers on the same boat.

I moved to Key Largo a year ago from St. Louis.....how are things up there?????

Pat

A few others and myself went out with Silent World last weekend. While the diving was okay...we were not all that impressed with the operation.

being quite new to diving, you will want to stay on the reefs (or possibly shallow wrecks) so with this in mind, as well as a dedicated dive op the people have listed above, you may want to consider the following -

http://www.pennekamppark.com/

inside John Pennekamp state park is a dive op that goes to Molassas Reef, snorkel boat, glass bottom boat and beach area - so depending where her interests lie she could choose while you head off on the dive boat
Note: the op in the park will only go to the molassas reef area, so if you want to visit one of the shallow wrecks like the Benwood, you will have to use one of the other ops.

the other dive ops listed are good as well, but often the dive boat won't be going to a place that is completely ideal for snorkelling.....but if she just wants to lie in the sun on the boat, thatz not an issue.

ok, so with not being able to go over 80, can you recommend some sites that go up to 80. THe park listed looks good, I might just go with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom