Looking for ideal BCD for small female, back inflate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, right, the SP Hydros Pro also fits my wife well. Too heavy and overpriced for her though.

I have both the Oceanic Biolite and Transpac XT with Travel XT wing. The Biolite is what I would consider to be a “true” travel bc, but the Transpac I’d consider to be “travel friendly”.

I am 5’4” and 145lbs, so a bit taller and much heavier than OP. I take a small in the Biolite and women’s medium in the Transpac harness.

The Transpac with Travel XT wing, with 2 waist weight pockets and 2 trim pockets total just under 8 lbs. The wing has 25 lbs of lift. All pockets need to be purchased separately. I found it bulky when packing. It has no storage pockets. This rig cost me double of what I paid for my Biolite.

My Biolite has 32 lbs of lift, 2 waist weight pockets and 2 trim pockets, which are all included. It weighs 5.5 lbs. It does not have a storage pocket. It does come in extra small, which should fit the OP. The lift is the same at 32lbs.

They are very different bc’s.

I just read the Rogue’s specs and it looks like it’s got everything you want. I’d add trim weight pockets to the tank straps for trim, but that’s just me. :D

Last edited:
Go over to piranha dive.. Com .. and click on their close out page.. there's a lot of nice integrated BCD over there... I have the icaro... Love it

My 5'1", 110 lb (doesn't NZ use metric?) wife has been shopping for a back inflate BC. She found that many smalls were too long for her short-waisted body and XS's tended to be too tight. She found that the Scubapro Ladyhawk in small fits her quite well. It has one pocket and is supposed to have just under 34 lb of lift. Looks good, too.

Good to hear this works for those more petite than me! I’m 5’4” and 130-135 pounds and use the small Ladyhawk as well. I cold water dive with this in HP100s (previously AL80s) and with an 8/7 semi dry. It has enough lift for sure. :)

I also travel and do warm water diving with it, too.

My wife also dives a Ladyhawk and she loves it. She is petite as well. I would think you could find ScubaPro products at most places.

Take a look at the Scubapro Hydros.

Back inflate
Lots of lift
Modern design
Modular/adjustable with Women’s model and sizing
Integrated weights
No packet but lots of attachment available so easy enough to attach one

Scubapro Hydros Pro Womens BCD w/Balanced Inflator
I'll second this recommendation. Hydros ticks all your boxes minus the pocket, but you can easily add one to it. It's a great bcd and so comfortable that you'll forget you're wearing it.

Besides the Ladyhawk see if your SP dealer still has the previous model Lighthawk - it had almost too much lift in a easy to travel single tank package.

There are several posts here concerning the mounting points ripping out on the Hydros so it wouldn't be for me. Also it retails at over $800 US.

I believe both LeisurePro.com and Scubatoys.com will ship to NZ. No idea if it's worth the time/trouble with duty etc. plus shipping cost. Either is reputable with a good selection. You can even ask Scubatoys to find someone your size in their office to "model" thr BC to check the fit.

Neither my wife nor daughter wanted to try a BP/W like I recommended. However, they both love the zeagle zena's that they picked instead. If you've got a shop that sells Zeagle in your area, go check those out. They're cut specifically for women and may fit a little better. I can't comment on whether or not they're "true to size" though.
My wife also has the Zena, although she mostly only dives warm water now. It seems to fit her very well, has a pocket/s, weight integrated, and she loves the zipper.

My 5'1", 110 lb (doesn't NZ use metric?) wife has been shopping for a back inflate BC. She found that many smalls were too long for her short-waisted body and XS's tended to be too tight. She found that the Scubapro Ladyhawk in small fits her quite well. It has one pocket and is supposed to have just under 34 lb of lift. Looks good, too.

Thanks for the scubapro suggestions. And yes we use metric in NZ but I've just gotten used to looking at all the sizing charts that talk in pounds! I just didn't like the look of the scubapro weight release system. I've done plenty of dives where getting my fins off at he boat is a challenge with cold fingers, so a clip that requires pinching, rather than a quick tug seems to negate being quick release....but I will see what I can find out there.

The Zeagle looks nice but I'm not sure many places stock them...not so sure about the idea of one tag releasing all weight though...would need to see it to get the idea.

Thanks

I would take a look at the Dive Rite Transpac. You can put a nice little travel wing that has decent lift or use a larger one if you would need even more lift. I have one and travel with it all the time and doesn't take up much room in my suitcase at all. Theres two different sizes of weight pockets you can have with it. I have the 8lb pockets (one on each side) and it has worked fine with me. Ive used it with a 7mm and AL tank in fresh water with no weighting issues. Ive seen due to how close it fits on me, Ive actually dropped a few pounds since switching from my normal jacket style bc. Its a lot less bulky and I have much more freedom in it. Its like a hybrid between a bp/w and backinflate.

Thanks. I'll have a look at that too if someone stocks them of course!

Back
Top Bottom