Looking for info on La Bufadora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaStan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone ever dive the Bufadora wall outside Ensenada?

If so, what was your experience? Looking to go there with some buddies next month. I have read some stuff about it...looks quite spectacular.

I did some diving in la bufadora about 4 years ago.
It was really nice...generally good vis, and lots of cool stuff to see.
The temp there is FREAKING COLD! Much colder than san diego, where I do most of my diving. (la buf is an upwelling area)

the positive side of the cold water is that the upwelling brings nutrients. that and the cold water make for huge anemones, scallops, starburst sea stars (the 50 armed ones). There is also a large population of sea lions (i think, or seals, hmmm, i forget) in the area that will be happy to buzz and bark at you.

I also recall seeing a bunch of nudibranchs...it's been a while, though. I had a great time, and enjoyed staying at the bright green house at the middle of the bay.

the blowhole there is top notch, too. :)

hope you have fun!

I'm looking to make a quick trip down to Ensenada, in July while visting my son in San Diego. Did you make your trip down there? Who did you dive with? Any help would be appreciated.

stevsgarage:
I'm looking to make a quick trip down to Ensenada, in July while visting my son in San Diego. Did you make your trip down there? Who did you dive with? Any help would be appreciated.

The diving south of Ensenada is based on Punta Banda which forms the southern end of Ensenada Bay.

The diving is excellent but the facilities are minimal. Dale's Dive Shop sits in the little bay which has a large Blowhole that attracts a lot of visitors - both from the local Ensenada area and from the States. Dale has a decent compressor setup, some limited rentals, a campground, a bunkhouse and some freshwater showers and heads.

He also runs a few boats, not quite pangas but similiar open boats. Gear is hiked onto the rocky beach, the boats are pulled up, the gear is loaded and the then the divers jump on help push the boat off the beach and thru the surf. Lots of dive sites in area which consist of walls and pinnicles of various depths. The boats usually do 2 dives, the cost is usually around $25/diver as long as the minimum is met.

Beach diving at La Bufadora is so-so, but with a long surface swim you can get to some nice kelp dives.

Kennedy's Landing is nearby and offers some excellent shore diving but we typically only take trucks and SUVs up and over the dirt road.

Ensenada proper is about 40 mins away from either spot. We normally stay at any number of hotels in Ensenada, enjoy the warm showers and a number of resteraunts in the city.

Pictures of past trips to Kennedy's can be found on my website.

Enjoy

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
march@gue.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom