Looking for small helmet backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Siltout-queen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Good evening everyone!

I'm a cave diver and currently use 2 Gralmarine K2 lights as backup lights. They're fixed to my helmet and, while on land, get quite heavy on my head. That's why I'm looking for recommendations concerning new backup lights.

I'd prefer one that's as light-weight as possible, uses batteries and has a long burning time. The price (as long as it's reasonable) doesn't matter, I also don't care if it's turned on by twisting it or pressing a button.

Thanks a lot in advance and happy diving!

Don't have a good recommendation for you but why keep backup lights on your helmet? Seems like a strange place for them. I much prefer attaching them to my harness (shoulder drings) or keeping them in pockets.

You might look at Light Monkey small backups. I’ve been using Salvo Mini Rats (same as LM but older) for 15 years. They are led and use two 123 batteries.

I use DGX 600 button as backup lights. They also sell a twist version, so its your choice.
Excellent quality and decent price.
They also have a mini version. which are good to toss into a pouch, as a 4th

For size reference, here's a pic of a DGX600 button, on my helment - using GoSidemounts Razor mounting system:
1654089837387.png

I have Dive Rite BX2 as a back up light, it is pretty decent tiny flashlight with tight and bright beam. Also uses rechargeable 18650 batteries. Can be found around $100 at Amazon.

Don't have a good recommendation for you but why keep backup lights on your helmet? Seems like a strange place for them. I much prefer attaching them to my harness (shoulder drings) or keeping them in pockets.
That way I'm more streamlined, if they're dangling on my shoulder ring than they can get entangled in the line or rip of while Pasing a restriction. Mounted firmly to my helmet they stay where I need them

That way I'm more streamlined, if they're dangling on my shoulder ring than they can get entangled in the line or rip of while Pasing a restriction. Mounted firmly to my helmet they stay where I need them

They aren't really hanging from your shoulders, they are bungeed down using rubber or bungee. My working double ender hangs down further than my back up lights. And my tanks hang down further than both. I have videos on my youtube channel, I attempted to get a screenshot or two, but they are so streamlined that you hardly notice them.

Anyways it is a regional thing. Florida helmets along with the ability to mount lights to them are fairly uncommon outside of specific situations. They are more common in Mexico.

One disadvantage of helmet mount backup lights is that you are limited by size. My back up lights are fairly large CX1s which are powerful enough to use as a primary for low level dives. But they are still streamlined and out of the way. Where as with helmet mounted really a single 18650 light is the max size I would mount to a helmet.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom