Looking for smaller package...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gglessing

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
PResently using E-3 in Ikelite housing with 2 DS160 strobes with either 7-14mm lens or 50mm+1.4X with appropriate ports for past 7 years. Last dive vacation I flooded housing in rinse tank, but housing and camera remained functional for the rest of vacation. Looking for smaller package, for I am tired of hand carrying all housing set up with strobes in a roll on with camera/lenses in a separate camera bag when traveling abroad. I am small-<5ft at 95lbs! I shoot everything manual; and don't even know how to use TTL! I have been very satisfied with my exposures for CFWA and macro to date. Thinking of Na-em1 with OMD -E1. It would be ideal to invest in smaller strobes too (but want to lessen initial expense for new system)-but has anyone used any OMD in nauticam housings with ikelite DS strobes? I am not looking for TTL (or should I?). Thanks for your input in advance...

I am not opposed to looking into 12-50 with macro adaptor, or 60mm macro. I enjoy the rectilinear 7-14mm for 4/3 and might consider the micro equivalent for it. But if I want to really downsize my travel equipment-maybe fish eye might be the compromise. I do miss the mid range zoom I used to use with the 14-54mm years ago-so I might just even consider the 12-40mm for everything and skip the CFWA and macro all together? Just depends on how much I am willing to spend;or rather how much I want to carry...

Last edited:
Phil, who is a poster on here has vast experience of using the Olympus cameras in Nauticam housings - I would drop him a PM.

But its generally acknowledged that the E-M1 with the Nauticam housing is a great system and although expensive is actually good value for money, once you add everything up. The only issue I would see, is that the E-M1 housing uses the Nauticam 'Mini' system of ports and I'm not sure if your 50mm (which I had with my E-1 - mega lens!!) or the 7-14mm would have a port that fits...

Phil, for sure will know.

i manage my whole setup (4/3 camera/housing/2 strobes/tray/arms/dive regulator & computer/ 2 lenses/ focus light...and more in a lowepro backpack.....i even shove my laptop in for good measure :)

i have not had it count against being a carry on yet, so still allowed another "carry on" bag.

whew. one expensive backpack.

i dont want to comment too much on the "technicals". there's lots of options available and to be honest im a real hack when it comes to UW photography, not a subject matter expert by any means.

i dont have experience with nauticams housings, although hard pressed to find a bad word about them. im not sure how they measure up in size from oly's line of housings.

good luck in your endeavors.

C

Look at the EM-5. If you want to downsize, dump the Ike strobes and buy Sea n Sea YS-D1s. See my webpage for pics.

EM5.jpg

Attachments

• EM5.jpg
    EM5.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 182
i manage my whole setup (4/3 camera/housing/2 strobes/tray/arms/dive regulator & computer/ 2 lenses/ focus light...and more in a lowepro backpack.....i even shove my laptop in for good measure :)

i have not had it count against being a carry on yet, so still allowed another "carry on" bag.

whew. one expensive backpack.

That's very interesting. I would like to see a pic of the loaded backpack if you have one. What do you do inside the backpack, do you wrap the items up? I need an entire carry-on rollaboard bag for my setup.

Thanks

which Lowepro backpack do you have? I have pretty much the same set up except with Inon z240's and a FIX focus light.

That's very interesting. I would like to see a pic of the loaded backpack if you have one. What do you do inside the backpack, do you wrap the items up? I need an entire carry-on rollaboard bag for my setup.

Thanks

ill take a pic once my photobucket account is back to normal. I've maxed out my monthly free allocation of bandwidth...i think i have a shot of the bag packed "properly" somewhere.

i tend to pack it differently when im traveling verses just storing the camera in the closet. Since i use my cameral fairly often (2-3x a month), I dont take the time to compartmentalize everything nice and neatly using the movable padded dividers, rather do a partial break down of the arms and shove it in the bag.

i have a huge tray 16" tip to tip. in reality, it could be 4" shorter.
I leave the strobes attached to the arms, and reassembly takes seconds.

@JBB i have the Computrekker AW model. Im sure there are newer models out, but this one has held up perfectly for me.

Strobes are D-2000's which should be around the same size as the Z240's....which I wish I could afford (jealous) :)
The bag looks nondescript from the outside (which i like, doesn't scream steal me), and is comfortable on long hauls to hump thru airports.

The last trip i took this summer was marshall islands-japan-hong kong-bali-singapore and back....carried it with me the whole time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom