Looking for some advice on BCD's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once you get a one-piece harness, go online and find a GUE or DIR article on how to fit your one piece HOG harness. It's quite simple and the shoulders will be surprisingly loose. You will be amazed at how incredibly comfortable the harness is, both in and out of the water, once you get rid of all the unneeded padding and extra pieces.
You certainly won't have d-rings up by your shoulders. I can't believe they " fitted" you and let you by something like that!

It is a Tecline system the harness is in 2 pieces one for the shoulders (and they are at the longest they can go) and the waist i seperate. The shoulders are the snug part I can't stretch across my chest and reach my drysuit inflator valve while wearing the harness, it comes with D-rings that are supposed to be at breast/armpit height and are sitting almost on top of my shoulders. We did size it as big as we could in the pool with the drysuit and underwear in place (was very uncomfortable). I am just thinking this particular system does not go big enough to accomodate or maybe these systems aren't ideal for larger divers (especially with boobs...LOL).

I have a 1 piece harness as well as a DR Transplate which looks to be a similar design to what you have. Of the two, the Transplate harder to adjust and is less adjustable. The Transplate is sized while the 1 piece is truly 1 size fits all. I like the Transplate, but I don't think a harness like that it is ideal for you. As a larger woman with breasts, it would probably be uncomfortable as the straps would be positioned over the breasts instead of at the shoulders. Also the chest strap could get in the way of the dry suit inflator.

As Tracy mentioned, look on a DIR diver or UTD diver and see where everything should be placed and compare it to where it is placed on you. The webbing for a 1 piece harness is about $1 per foot and you need 12 to 14 ft. My recommendation is to buy the strapping and weave a harness to check fit. If you like the fit, you can ad the d-rings. Make sure you are using a crotch strap when sizing.

OP -- is this the system? Harness TecLine Comfort (adjustable) incl. 3mm SS backplate - Tecline

If so, I hate to tell you but you should probably get rid of the harness and just use a standard one-piece webbing system. This will allow you to adjust the shoulder straps to your size. In addition, you will be able to move the D-rings to wherever you want them. IF you can salvage the D-rings from your current harness (that is, if they aren't sewn in or perhaps, even if they are) then the additional cost for the new webbing should be small (under $25).

Perhaps not what you wanted to hear but it will be much better for you.

Yup that's the one....your advice is hat I was expecting and am kind of relieved to learn I can still dive this kind of system just need a more superior style. I will be in contact with my LSD to set me up properly. Thank you so much :)

---------- Post added October 27th, 2013 at 07:23 PM ----------

Thank you all your feedback and advice are greatly appreciated :) I will definitely be shopping for next season.

Back
Top Bottom