Looking for some local help Sept 8-9 - Ft. Pickens, Alabama Point, etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! I've been using that site for a while to print tides to bring down to Eleuthera for free diving - almost every where you go on the island is deserted so you better know the tides before you get in, since there are some places you're the only heartbeat for miles around.

I saved all of the above info - if we switched to Sept 1-2, would you still be good to show us the ropes that weekend? As to the walking in full gear, well, I get in the water and gear up or do a seated entry off the boat. I have a prosthetic leg and the "dive leg" ankle assembly doesn't support the weight of me and a full kit.

That works for boat diving but for shore/jetty diving you still have to get that heavy gear to the water. I've always found wearing a tank and backplate on my back to be easier than carrying it by hand.

The way the prosthetic works, it;s easier for me to carry the tank by the handle to keep my center of gravity low - we had about a 150yd walk to our last two check dives and after 10yds took my kit off and carried it. On this dive, I would get my gear close, wife/son would get in and I would pass down my kit, swap out my foot module to the dive leg and then get in and kit up.

Thoughts - leaving a $10,000 prosthetic foot on the beach right there where we go in - any issues??? Seems likes its way to far to walk back and lock it up. Might have to rethink my plan some here.

It's not too far to walk back at Ft Pickens or St Andrews. You know best what you can do, I just wanted to make sure you knew there is no cart access at any of the jetties where you can just roll your gear to the water. Except if you have a good beach cart then maybe Destin, which is a long walk in soft sand but has no steps or rocks to climb over.

With the regular "walking" foot on, almost anything is possible. Once I switch over to the dive leg, it's made for swimming, not walking so might have to talk the son into bringing it back to the truck for me :D

---------- Post Merged at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:12 PM ----------

So, a wetsuit while not required equipment is recommended?

I would lock that sucker up! I doubt anyone would take it and surely must be a special place in h### for someone that would steal a guy's leg but the downside is too much.

After looking at the tide charts, help me out here please. Looks like August 5, high tide is 12:45 PM with a .7 ft range. If I plan on being there at 10:30 or so, suiting up and being in the water for 11:00 or so, do a tank, SI for some water and grubbage, and then dive back in for another tank about 12:30 or so - thoughts on this plan?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom