Looking for Testing Facility for Hydro anywhere between Manchester NH and Framingham MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver8492

Registered
Reaction score
We are looking for a hydro testing facility anywhere between Manchester NH and Framingham MA. I thought there was a firm in Littleton, but I cant remember its name. A lot of firms who have the DOT approval to test scuba tanks don't do it (I think its the same as the approval for fire dept scba) so going down the list has not been getting us any results.

In a nut shell we have 10-12 tanks of all sizes that need hydro and think we can save a bit by bringing the tanks in ourselves as well as not have to wait 2+ weeks while the LDS accumulates a batch of tanks...

Does anyone know of testing firm?

Thanks but as I was trying to say, just because the DOT has approved a business to reinspect 3AL seamless aluminum tanks does not mean that the business offers the service.

So if anyone knows a hydrostatic testing facility around Mass or New Hampshire, please let us know.

Thanks!

I would check with Maine Oxy as I know a few people that take their cylinders there. That said, by the time you factor in a visual inspection you’re not saving a ton over a dive shop.

If you don’t mind driving down to Quincy, there is a fire shop that does hydro’s there, Gorham maybe?

If you are stuck going to a shop, I’d recommend Boston Scuba. While they don’t do them in house they often can get them turned around pretty quick. If you give Jim a call, he can give you a better idea but I know that some people have had tanks turned around in a week or less. I’m actually going to be dropping a bunch of tanks off there tomorrow for hydro myself so if imagine he’ll be making a hydro run shortly.

If I were in his situation, by taking 12 tanks directly to the tester, I would save $384 before the cost of VIP and fill. It would be 1-3 days turnaround.

If VIP + air fill were $15, it would be a net savings of $200.

I did not respond to soldsoul because the topic was drifting, but at you and a few others get the point. We have used a local dive shop for refresher training, getting batteries in a computer replaced on the spot with a warranty, spare parts, airfills of course, but if we can do the heavy lifting and save a few bucks, we will do that.

For one thing a dive shop has to have a haz mat permit to transport tanks because they are being used in commerce. That costs money and insurance and we can avoid those costs by taking care of it ourselves. (what can I say...most of us have new hampshire ethics)

We use our gear for leisure and as long as we don't carry more than 1000lbs of metal, we don't need a hazmat permit

Back
Top Bottom