looking for thoughts on USVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andywood

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for a short notice 4 day dive vacation in the USVI for a seasoned (100+) diver and a newly certified diver. St Thomas seems to be the frontrunner so far. Any better ideas are welcome! Also welcoming any thoughts on what would be a good itinerary (Not sure if there is shore diving there or if its all boat diving) and who to charter with or stay with.

We'd be looking for a good size dive boat if possible as seasickness has been a problem in the past.

Thoughts would be appreciated!

Although I have dove both ends of St Thomas, I prefer the West side diving better. I prefer to see big animals, and I enjoy wreck diving. The number of, size of, and quality of the wreck diving in St Thomas is amazing. We have seen Bull Shark, Blacktip Reef Shark, Caribbean Reef Shark, Wahoo, Tuna, Cobia and African Pompano on our wreck dives there. Big Eagle Rays and turtles have been present too. The reef diving around little Saba has some of the healthiest fields of Elkhorn coral I've seen in the Caribbean, the fish counts are through the roof on all the reefs we dove, and we saw Caribbean Reef Sharks on 2 of the reef dives as well. We did 8 dives, 2 weeks ago and only saw 1 Lionfish. The shops are being very proactive to keep their numbers down and it really shows. St Thomas dosen't get the recognition it deserves for it's diving and it's a shame. We always dive with Blue Island Divers. They've treated us like part of the family since the first time we dove with them.

We've also done a few trips to St Croix and dove with Ed and Molly at Scuba St Croix. Great wall diving in STX and they're a great shop to dive with. My type of diving makes me a little partial to STT, but that's only my opinion.

Not sure where in Virginia you are, but we flew round trip from Dulles to St Thomas for $368.00 2 weeks ago.

We dove with ST Thomas Diving club and had a blast. Six pack boat out of Bolongo bay. If you stay at the Bolongo hotel your right next to the shop and Iggy's Bar and Resturant (Good Food on the beach). You can shore dive right off the dock out to the reef at the mouth of the bay.

(340) 776-2381
St. Thomas Diving Club, Scuba Diving and Snorkeling in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Dave

I think most people in these parts would agree that St Croix's diving is much better than St Thomas'.
We got "The Wall", wrecks, and sundry spectacular reefs. The Wall is where the ocean plunges thousands of feet. It's right off the northshore of STX. You can kick out to it from the shore in numerous places, as well as get boat dives on it. Several good Scuba shops on island. My fave is stcroixscuba.com. Crappy website, great folks.

STX is more laid-back and bigger than STT. Would love to dive STJ but can afford to stay there :depressed:

Back
Top Bottom