Looks like Chinese compressors are getting better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
They reference they comply with EN12021, I'm not certain if they comply to the 2014 update.

Still, it looks like a scuba compressor:
Compressor.jpg

What would it take to upgrade something like this to use with Nitrox cylinders?
The right filtration and some O2.

I think the downaide will be parts and support. If you buy a Bauer you can call someone on the phone any weekday and they'll walk you through it and send you the right parts. If you buy something likethis you're on your own (unless enough people adopt it they can collectively troubleshoot together).

The right filtration and some O2.
I was hoping for more detail on the what would be the right filtration. (thinking about total budget, and sources)

O2 would only be necessary if I wanted something other than 21% in my nitrox tanks. It doesn't save as much if you have to buy extra tanks for air.

I go out of my way to avoid supporting Chinese products.
:bash:

I was hoping for more detail on the what would be the right filtration. (thinking about total budget, and sources)

O2 would only be necessary if I wanted something other than 21% in my nitrox tanks. It doesn't save as much if you have to buy extra tanks for air.
I was thinking you wanted to make nitrox with this compressor, but you just want to keep nitrox tanks O2 clean? Is that the question?

If you're going to own a compressor, I think at some point you'll want to mix nitrox. I pay .12 cents per cf of O2. I just mixed tanks yesterday for tomorrow's dive (5 tanks total including deco tanks). It cost me $8.72. That sure beats spending whatever they charge these days for nitrox at the LDS.

At any rate I use an American Airworks filter after my compressor and it has hapcolite, 13x molecular sieve, and activated carbon. It cost me $425 and each filter is about $55. I change out when it's used up based on hours and temperature (usually every 12-18 months). I think I've pumped about 5500cf in the last 8 months. The filters are premade and you can get them at filterworks.

I was thinking you wanted to make nitrox with this compressor, but you just want to keep nitrox tanks O2 clean? Is that the question?
Yes

If you're going to own a compressor, I think at some point you'll want to mix nitrox.
I'm sure. One step at a time.

I pay .12 cents per cf of O2. I just mixed tanks yesterday for tomorrow's dive (5 tanks total including deco tanks). It cost me $8.72. That sure beats spending whatever they charge these days for nitrox at the LDS.

At any rate I use an American Airworks filter after my compressor and it has hapcolite, 13x molecular sieve, and activated carbon. It cost me $425 and each filter is about $55. I change out when it's used up based on hours and temperature (usually every 12-18 months). I think I've pumped about 5500cf in the last 8 months. The filters are premade and you can get them at filterworks.
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

Yes

I'm sure. One step at a time.

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for!
Ok.. glad to help!

I "think" most compressors are capable of grade e air? My Rix is not, completely breathable, but wet. So I had to add an additional filter tower to make sure it's dry so the tanks don't rust. I don't think that an Alkin or Bauer would require this though?

And as far as I know the filter towers have the same media in them.. it just depends on how large the tower is how much air it can process. I know my buddy gets ~ 3000cf out of his filter? Mine will do ~ 13000cf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom