Lopsided doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're all assuming the worst but there's a good chance that if the OP goes back to the shop and says that he needed to bleed the tanks in order to align them correctly because they were returned unaligned that the shop owner will offer to fill them again without even being asked.

We often jump to the negative conclusion (I am as guilty as anyone for this) but a good business man will recognize that an unhappy customer can be made a happy customer and that in order to thrive they need happy customers....

Just a thought.

R..

Consider yourself lucky. You discovered the shop's inability to properly setup doubles without it costing you any real money. Few bucks for a fill, who cares.

They already had a chance to do it correctly the first time. They couldn't. They're probably just inexperienced in this realm and it's petty to try to "stick it to them".

Move on to another shop, and politely let them know next time.

Having them replace the already-paid-for fill due to their incompetence is hardly "stick[ing] it to them". Rewarding their incompetence is cynical and doesn't help them at all. Maybe they really want to stay in business and would appreciate being apprised of the situation.

Jeez, y'all are brutal. There is more than one person that works on stuff in a dive shop. Maybe they have an awesome tech on staff and she happened to be off that day. Or maybe they were set up correctly most of the way and things got a little janky as the bands were tightened. Setting up doubles isn't that hard, but it also isn't that hard to mess up a bit. I've certainly had to re-do setups in the past and I'm sure I will in the future. They look fine until I stand them back up and the wobble on the ground a little bit.

Take the tanks back to the shop, have them fix and re-fill them. Just check to make sure they were done correctly before you leave. People that work at dive shops don't know everything. Incompetence and ignorance are not the same thing. So long as they are willing to listen to you, the shop is a keeper! Of course if they give your the "I'm the tech, I know what I'm doing" thing, then go find another shop.

-Chris

Jeez, y'all are brutal. There is more than one person that works on stuff in a dive shop. Maybe they have an awesome tech on staff and she happened to be off that day. Or maybe they were set up correctly most of the way and things got a little janky as the bands were tightened. Setting up doubles isn't that hard, but it also isn't that hard to mess up a bit. I've certainly had to re-do setups in the past and I'm sure I will in the future. They look fine until I stand them back up and the wobble on the ground a little bit.

Take the tanks back to the shop, have them fix and re-fill them. Just check to make sure they were done correctly before you leave. People that work at dive shops don't know everything. Incompetence and ignorance are not the same thing. So long as they are willing to listen to you, the shop is a keeper! Of course if they give your the "I'm the tech, I know what I'm doing" thing, then go find another shop.

-Chris

Couldn't disagree more.

All businesses should have a policy where if key personnel are absent, other personnel should not fill in where they're not qualified. This isn't a case of a shophand over or underfilling tanks. They disassembled the entire setup, did a VIP and put it back together.

We're not overly brutal. You're just too nonchalant. IMHO.

Jeez, y'all are brutal.

Well.... no, actually.

You're right to say that incompetence and ignorance are not the same thing. Ignorance is not knowing that you're doing the wrong thing. Incompetence is knowing but doing it anyway.

Either of those is, imho, indefensible. If someone is "ignorant" they should have called the client to ask for more time until the expert was able to do it..... Incompetence is perhaps the height of hubris, "selling" a product that you are not able to deliver.

Either way the mistakes made by the shop should (a) not be rewarded by taking it all back to them and giving them more money/time to try again... and (b) should not be tolerated. Full stop!

That's my opinion. I should qualify this by saying that most of my diving is technical in nature and I'm looking at this case in that context.

The risks are higher and the need for perfection is (much) higher... If a shop doesn't know what they are doing then I FULLY EXPECT them to fess up. I would NEVER hold it against someone who said, "this is going to take more time/money because we need to get the best people in". I have all the patience in the world for that! But if a shop says, "we can do that" and it turns out that they are just walking around blind in the dark and hoping that it's "good enough" (or that they can "get away" with it) then I am merciless in my criticism, as I hope every technical diver would be!

R..

Before everyone goes on a hate filled LDS blaming spree, I've seen full and properly assembled doubles get knocked outta whack more than a few times by people mishandling or dropping them or dropping things on them... And yes, ive seen them improperly assembled too.

I love my not-so-local dive shop; they knock 15 bucks off the dis-assemble/VIP/ reassemble if I take em apart and reassemble them. I do it @ the shop, get to watch the VIP and look myself, reassemble, get (over)-.fils and leave. They give me the viton o-rings and are happy to lend me their tools if necessary.If they're **** ed up, we'll all agree that it's totally on me. Excuse me, I'm going to start weeping now.

Last edited:
I find this method much easier than that shown in DogDiver's post #14.
Thanks Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom