Los Angeles County freshwater dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Found a link on facebook that describes a Northern San Gabriel Mountain range reservoir called Littlerock Dam! Halfway through the webpage post there's a couple of shaky short videos seen here. It takes patience watching them, and a non judgemental attitude of how good/poor the photographer is, but what was recorded seems to be standing out as pretty interesting. And from what I can get out of the story is there's an accelerated growth phase of largemouth (black) bass right now. Last year the reservoir was drained to a tiny warm mud hole. And in one mild rain/snow winter season the water level is close to full. Sort of like beating or injuring a tree and having it come back bearing loads of fruit, this condition may be something of the same. Everywhere on the bottom is juvenile largemouth, and in the structure all over there's big populations of adult largemouth. They say there's no "lunkers" seen yet. Spearfishing will get a DFG citation in that reservoir. With DFG patrolling. Well anyway, I'm heading up there! Anyone wanna go?

haHA! fnfalman you don't sound like a wuss, but your response didn't surprise me at all!! But I am glad you responded, thanks! I've only been in a few eastern sierra lakes and also in the Littlerock Dam reservoir, I liked them alot. June Lake way cool, but in Gull Lake a german brown trout was swimming right along side of the camera for a 10 seconds, I thought it was cool. What were the Idaho dives like? I just seen something somewhere online about "wrecks" in Idaho. I think way north.

I've dived at Windy Point, Lake Travis in Austin, Texas. That was somewhat cool. Lots of perches and catfish plus the occasional large mouth bass here and there following you around looking for food. They also have some sort of tree groves at around 90-ft to 110-ft depth depending on the water level. It's a good place to get narced and freak out on the bony fingers of the branches.

I've dived at Lake Payette a couple of hours north of Boise. It was cold (depth is practically a consistent 45-f) but fairly clear with a handful of fishies.

I've dived at Bob Rice Pond in Boise (ice water runoff season is a good time to test the warmth of your drysuit thermals), three little ponds just north of Boise in a little town I couldn't remember the name of, Lucky Peak reservoir at the eastern outskirt of Boise. All had horrible viz (10-ft on a good day and less than 5-ft sometimes). I think that I saw one and a half fish there. One fish for sure and maybe a shadow of a fish - hence the claim of one and a half fish. Temps in the winter dips down into the mid to low 40s and in the peak of summer a balmy mid-50s.

I've dived at Blue Lake in Nevada close to the border of Utah. This one was pretty warm year round with water temp into the mid-60s and viz in the 60-ft as well. Saw some fish and crawdad there.

I've dived at the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, New Mexico as well. Though that's more of a pond than a lake.

It's better than a poke in the eye, but it's no ocean diving. Supposedly the lake in Coeur d'Alene is pretty sweet but I didn't make it up that far north.

Lake and river diving is weird to me, growing up in SoCal the ocean was home, but the river(Colorado), Piru and Pyrimid lakes, Etc. were foreign and scarey. Dark and unknown with catfish, bluegills, Bass and Carp, Haa!
I still don't take to fresh water diving, went to New Mex and did Blue Hole(Yawn), Rio Grande, Abique Lake and Eagle Nest(High Alt), Etc.. it was all OK, but not home:cool2:.

Fresh is fun if it's all ya got, but I prefer diving with the sharks of the Pacific.

Be Safe Out There!

Certain fresh water dives are at best, hurting. The reason Littlerock Dam was ran in a webpage story was for those that, love diving, during a tsunami warning have another place to dive. And those that appreciate a new an totally cool fresh water dive just for some alternative when ****'s hitting the fan at the Pacific shores. I too, love all pacific diving. This post wasn't intended to get anyone realigned for "only" fresh water appreciation. But if there's any kids out there that want to expand in the scuba realm, here's one place you won't come back with negative reports (not talking about you fnfalman, keep diving the pacific, sounds like you've maxed out your freshwater dive interest in the world!) Me? I just got back from there and it isn't anything less than what the hardcorediveteam.com and CaliforniaDiver.com carried. Like being a skydiver, there's more places to jump than just Elsinore, and Parris!! I've only been diving serious California Coastal and Island bodies of water for 12 years. Yep just a new kid on the block! Still the only sharks I"ve seen (I don't bait them) is the tiny horned and swell sharks and the rays! But I tell all the girls that I dive with 20 ft great whites to seem more bad ass! This post was only a mere suggestion to expand the diving oportunities in a very very select group. Not the super conditioned!! And spoiled!! Like me! Anyway before you fnfalman list the massive fresh water sites you've been at, (which is sustantial!) try the Dam and then repost! There's an explosion of largemouth bass that's never been seen before. OR go out on the commercial recreational dive boats and have fun!

---------- Post Merged at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:32 PM ----------

And one thing that is pretty cool, this is a place in Los Angeles County, alot of southern Californians call that home. Go diving, Have fun, No Excuses, Get Your Ass Into the Water!! No complaints!!

---------- Post Merged at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Don, what is really different about this one dive site is the upper warm water level is very similar to a spring green algae bloom in our pacific. Yes below that is darker than coal black but clear and cold column that runs to any depth that holds old trees and things that appear as a ghost! It is weird! But quite calming as the transitions blend into one another that has no major water movement, you want to be warmer ascend. You want a complete NIGHT dive during noon on a bright sunny day, drop down below 30 in 30 seconds and you are in total non moon/star/bioluminescense lit water. Only your lantern will give light. I love that!

Yea maybe so Scubatom! This particular reservoir is nestled within the Angeles National Forest! It's a good chance LA County doesn't call the shots on it, unless they're in for a fire, or sherrifs call. The USDA (United States Dept of Agriculture) Forestry Service has currently "Leased" the Reservoir to a private firm or customer! We have checked with Local Authorities. Strangely the DFG patrols the place, with DFG trout plants in supportive condions. Swimming/Diving is permitted at your own risk. Littlerock Dam Reservoir. So there's LA County, State of California, USDA and a private customer running it. Geeze can we find some more government controlled agencies to get interest in this? Oh wait Palmdale water district, now a City too!! Anyway dive it, it's pretty cool! In about a year the Water Districts are gonna close it. Drain it, dredge it to remove the very little silt layer and massive decomposed granite, that has filled the bottom. At full level it's about 70-80ft, after the dredging it's going to be doubled in capacity. That's deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom