Los Cabos to Socorro boat trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a question to anyone who has done a Socorro liveaboard trip but mre specifically those who have been on the Rocio del Mar.

Am I right in thinking that the first day out - the day of departure from Los Cabos - is all boat trip and nothing else apart from perhaps some familiarising briefing? If that is the case, I should have plenty of time on board that day to get my dive and photo kit ready eg lubricating O-rings, charging batteries etc, right? I normally do that on the day before leaving the UK but this time it is a bit hectic. I have to make appropriate care arrangements for my Father-in-law who is recovering from a stroke and catching-up with work. I am working late on the day before departure and starting out to the airport early in the morning.

As long as you don't get seasick, you'll have tons of time.

Our crossing wasn't violent at all, but about half the people on the boat were miserably seasick. I was up doing yoga on the very top deck, which gives you an idea that the boat wasn't pitching all that much.

An old sea salt once told me that when faced with a long and bumpy sea voyage, eat only apples and yogurt. Tried that during a particularly lively 14-hour crossing between the Cayman Isles and it worked.

As Seig noted, the crossing is 24 hours plus, open ocean, no stops. I recently bought some Kwells from Chemist Direct online in the UK. Said to be good for motion sickness and diving. I met with the boat captain at the Seattle Scuba Show April 11-12 and we talked quite a bit about their trips. They also do seasonal charters in the Sea of Cortez with pickups at the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. This makes for easy flights. The Sea of Cortez trips enjoy some amazing encounters. When I first started travelling "The Baja" back in 1970's it was noted that some 28 shark species swim in the body of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom