Los Roques?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Susie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there,

We are looking to dive Grande Roques, off Caracas, this Septemeber (yes I know it is hurricaine season but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?). I am looking for suggestions for diver ops and best dive sites. We are experienced divers who are looking for some ok diving after our Maccu Piccu trek. We are staying at one of the Posadas on the beach in Grand Roques. We ususally use PADI dive shops.
Thanks for anything you can throw my way!
Susie

fyi...Los Roques (LR) is fairly east of Caracas, further east from the ABC islands; i think it's officially out of the hurricane belt, but the ABC's copped some damage from Ike last year. Some reefs were damaged in Curacao (i.e. Casabao).

Dunno how this has affected diving in LR; another poster on this forum lives in Caracas and can give you a better opinion on the diving in LR, but i hear it is very good and the posadas are usually well run.

Please post a report when u r done !!!!!

Yes I love to see a report also, I have heard notting but good stuff about LR and plan on going myself one day.

Went there some years ago on a liveaboard. The diving was excellent. There was current. The visibility was variable but there was so much to see. Wonderful pinnacles to spend time swimming around and looking at closely so the viz was not an issue. Small stuff was big. Medium stuff was huge. There was always something up above like African pompano and big jacks. Dive log mentions huge rays. Spent some time in the town and the posadas looked inviting. Good luck and look forward to the report.

Went there some years ago on a liveaboard. The diving was excellent. There was current. The visibility was variable but there was so much to see.

Maybe we were aboard the same ship, the Hughes Antares II ? I went twice and the second time they ran us and a TV crew around to the many pirate era wrecks that become unburied from the flowing sand.

Any number of people dived there and have derided the place because of the visibilty and shallow swirling currents.

I found it unique in the Caribbean, and would love to return.

I live in Caracas and I've dived several times in Los Roques.

Naga is right, Los Roques is officially out of hurricane belt. So you don't need to worry about that.

As far as I know there are three diving operators in Los Roques:

Ecobuzos (Buceo en el Archipielago de Los Roques)

Chidivers (chidivers.com)

And the oldest one, formerly called Sesto Continente, which has recently changed its name. I'll find out about their new one and drop you a note in a couple days.

Best diving points I can remember: La Guasa (couple of submerged pinnacles pretty close to Gran Roque), Sebastopol and Cayo Sal. You have to wrestle with the operators to take you to farther places (such as Sebastopol and Cayo Sal) but they are worth the effort.

As for lodging, there are no hotels in Los Roques. Only "all included posadas". And yu have to go that way since there are no restaurants in the island. Some of the posadas are extremely expensive and some others are more reasonably priced.

Hey SS,

did you go to LR?

give us a report !!!!!!

Hey there,

We are looking to dive Grande Roques, off Caracas, this Septemeber (yes I know it is hurricaine season but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?). I am looking for suggestions for diver ops and best dive sites. We are experienced divers who are looking for some ok diving after our Maccu Piccu trek. We are staying at one of the Posadas on the beach in Grand Roques. We ususally use PADI dive shops.
Thanks for anything you can throw my way!
Susie
Hi-
I am heading there in about a week; and am beginner diver, alone, looking for advice. Can you tell me anything--cheapest competent shop, might need to take a certification course (lost card from 30 years ago); nicest most spectacular places to just snorkel, also to dive if i get certified and can afford it (am journalist so maybe can get deal); cheapest place to stay; email for anyone to talk with directly. My email is FunActivist at gmail and you know the rest i hope.
Since biggest expense is the flite, any clues how to find a boat going there, which seems to be well kept secret
--gary
p.s. sort of urgent, since leaving from NYC in few days. Expect to arrive there around Feb 3rd.

Hi DolFUNguy:

I understand the following:

1. You have lost your Certifiation Card. Advise: Get a new certification card before you live NY. You won't dive in LR without one.

2. It seems to me you have not dive recently. I suggest you take a refreshment course once in CCS. That would not be a problem, provided you have any recognized agency certification card.

3. No boats to LR. You can take a short fly (40 minutes on a propeller plane) from Maiquetia, local CCS airport. Return tickets should run around US 200.

3. Several operators in Los Roques. The oldest one is Sesto Continente they have a new operating name) and have a shop in CCS. You can get an all included diving package with them (flight, posada and diving). Think it's your best option. I can provide their phone number in CCS. If you want to take a refreshment course BEFORE going to LR, I can also recommend to you a couple good local DS in Caracas that will take care of you. I might even go accompany you to a diving spot located 2 hours drive from CCS called Chichiriviche, were you'll refresh your diving skills.

4. Last advise: Beaware we have two current exchanges in Venezuela: The official and the "real" rate. Difference between them is about 50%. Watch your step and don 't accept exchange proposals at the airport from individuals. Bring some local (Bolivares) currency from NY, enough to survive for a couple days and then you'll learn your way. If you use your Credit Card, they'll apply the official exchange rate (the least convenient for you).

5. You can send me a private message through scubaboard if you need more guidance. I'm willing to help you with more information.

Hi DolFUNguy:
3. Several operators in Los Roques. The oldest one is Sesto Continente they have a new operating name) and have a shop in CCS...

Hi Arturo,
Is the new name of the "Sesto Continente" ARRECIFE (http://www.divevenezuela.com/)??? I'm going to LR next month, and the guys from Guaripete Posada has indicated me this Dive Shop. I realy would like to know if there is any body has dove with them.

Another question: Since the airplane is so small, and they allow just 10Kg (my dive gear weight 10Kg) how can I go there to dive without pay extra weight tax?

Thanks
Eric Ramos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom