Losing Contrast, Suggested the CCD is Dirty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine I have successfully cleaned a CCD by blowing air on it, but that was just to remove visible dust speckles. The books on my Fuji S2 and Nikon D70 warn against actually touching the CCD with anything other than air. You may have to have it cleaned professionally if it is something more insidious that just dust. ++Ken++

catherine96821:
Vladamir sent me this link....

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/15473243

I think that is the problem....

it says losing contrast is pretty classic manifestation of the second type.

Anybody ever clean thiers? oh this is overwhelming...

I clean my sensor when needed. I use the sensor swipes, and have been for years. It works well, and I can generally get good results in a pass or two. I have yet to clean my D200 sensor.

As to having it done *professionally* I have known several people who have done that, and their sensors don't come back clean. Cleaner maybe, but this is not all that hard, and DSLR photographers have been dealing with this issue for some time without problems. Sure Nikon and Canon would rather have you send it to them. But $50 later with shipping and cleaning costs, and you may still not have a clean sensor.

If you shoot in dusty environments and change lenses often, the sensor is going to get dirty. The D200 has a mirror lockup function that would work well for sensor cleaning. With my D1x, I just put the camera on a several minute exposure, and that gives me plenty of time to do one pass. I then check the sensor by taking a shot, and looking at it. If it is still dirty I do it again. I can remove 100% of the dust often with just a couple of passes.

I did not see the reference to loosing contrast on the site? There is a lot there, and I did not feel like reading it all.

Sensor cleaning, the first time, was pretty sphincter clenching. It took me weeks to get up the nerve.

Now, its no biggie. Sensor swipes, a couple of sensor brushes and a bigass blower, and its all good.

Mine was a mess - its easy to check (shoot the sky with ap at f32) and its easy to get it clean. I've never gotten mine 100% clean, but I have dramatically improved it.

---
Ken

Wow, everyone is way ahead of me in this. I really learned something in this thread, thanks to all. Are the copperhills the preferred swipes or are there other options?

The key is this: The Sensor Swabs, because they're wet get off the welded on dust. I had lots of that after my Belize trip. Coming out of our air-conditioned cabanas into the warm, humid beach... the whole rig would fog up. I ended up just leaving it out over night in the cam bag, or else I couldn't shoot for the first hour of the day.

When I got back, no amount of blowing would remove the welded on dust. The sensor swabs did the trick. Follow the instructions. Remember, they're sterile, so keep them in a bag within a bag.

I've only used them once since then, as the Sensor Brush lifts off all of the non-welded on dust pretty well.

Blow off the CCD often. I do for every lens change - its made a world of difference. It so much easier the KEEP it clean, than it is to clean it.

And much less stressful....

---
Ken

okay...I am convinced that this might be the problem.

My pictures are looking like they have a film on them compared to my older ones.

It's either take this on or get a new camera. Wonder what it costs to have a new sensor put on?

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the new links.

BTW...what is the worst case scenario?

sensor swabbing is definitely NOT for everyone. If you have one or more of these traits, I seriously recommend passing on sensor swabbing: 1) if you are, without a doubt, "all thumbs" or a certified "klutz" with anything mechanical; 2) if you have unsteady or trembling hands, especially under pressure; 3) if you are the least bit far-sighted and blurry-eyed at close-up range; or 4) if you pass out at the mere thought of sensor swabbing. Otherwise, let's get to it.

yes, I change lenses a lot and have the fog up humidity issue....so here he speaks to the loss of contrast:

severe accumulation of dust particles will cause a noticeable loss of contrast in your images.

Ron Frank first pointed out that something was looking funny, "soft".

Ideally, I could find somebody to do it for me like a local technician...with the swabs I buy.

catherine96821:
okay...I am convinced that this might be the problem.

My pictures are looking like they have a film on them compared to my older ones.

It's either take this on or get a new camera. Wonder what it costs to have a new sensor put on?

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the new links.

BTW...what is the worst case scenario?

yes, I change lenses a lot and have the fog up humidity issue....so here he speaks to the loss of contrast:

Ron Frank first pointed out that something was looking funny, "soft".

Ideally, I could find somebody to do it for me like a local technician...with the swabs I buy.

Putting a new sensor in a camera is not cost justified. The manufacture may choose to do so under warranty, but if you wanted it done the labor and parts will cost more than the camera is worth. Think of it this way, if your $10,000 car needs $12,000 worth of repair, it's totaled. If your camera needs a new sensor, it's totaled. It would also be foolish to put that kind of money into a camera when for less one can get a better, and more advanced model.

The best way I've found to determine if the sensor is dirty is to take off the lens, mount the camera on a tripod, and shoot at a white piece of paper. The dust spots will really show up. I do this between cleanings.

Sensor Swipes, pec-pads, and the Eclipse is likely the best solution for sensor cleaning I've seen. However I have not been paying attention to this subject for a while, and there are some new solutions like THIS

This was a very hot topic about 4 years ago. Should I clean the sensor? Will it void the warranty? Will I damage it? What should I use? Manufactures denounced the idea of sensor cleaning, and many thought it was a bad idea. Thom Hogan used to use a modified Wendy's Knife to clean his sensors. My first tool was a custom cut (by me) rubbermaid Spatula with the pec pads, and eclipse. When Sensor Swipes first came out, I got one. It's basically a rubbermaid with the correct size, and angles. Now sensor cleaning is considered mandatory, and routine. Some manufactures have developed ways to help reduce the need of sensor cleaning, but SLR's mean an open environment, and dust WILL get on the sensor. Dust is not new to photography, think darkroom printing and spotting! It's just a fact of photography.

This is not rocket science. Just be careful, don't put too much pressure on the sensor, and don't be afraid if your first attempts don't do the job. Keep at it, and redo the procedure completely covering the entire sensor with each pass as instructed.

Catherine, another thought is that your camera's focus may have shifted. The topside shots you did while on Honeymoon did however look very sharp, but DSLR's can develop backfocus issues, or just plain malfunction especially in lower light, like on a dive. If you want advice on how to *test* this stuff PM me.

catherine96821:

That can also be caused by dirty lenses, a much more likely culprit. (I didn't see any mention of this, so forgive me if you've already eliminated it.)

Back
Top Bottom