Losing Weight & Gear adjustments ... what else do I need to consider?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sactomags

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've lost about some weight, enough to affect how my dive gear fits, and I have some questions that hopefully someone can provide the answers or tell me where to go.

1. Wetsuits. Well, it is definitely a LOT looser right now. I have a 7mm which I use out here in California (haven't used since Feb), a 3mm and .5mm. I just returned from a trip to Florida where I used the .5 and it could use a "shrink" job. Is there such a thing or do I have to buy all new suits? If I can get it adjusted, is this something my LDS can handle or outsource?

2. BC. Fortunately my Diva has some adjustments that I can make on the cumberbund, but even after that I noticed that it also seems to create a few more air pockets as I was hanging upside-down for pictures or looking on the bottom for critters and it just didn't fit as well as when I had a bit more bulk. Suggestions?

The only thing I can say is that I am not done with the weight loss, so if I am going to have to look at buying all new stuff (except reg & computer), I want to have an idea now so that I can save some $$ to do so.

The nicest part is that I don't have to wear as much weight to get down ... which I am still futzing because not only do I weigh less, I have gotten better with air consumption and haven't had to put as much weight on to get down under!

Tanks, in advance, for any insights ...
Margaret

We have a custom suit maker here that can take an off-the-rack suit and dice and slice it to fit. See if there's one near you. Usually it's a $50 job or so.
Neil

Congratulations on losing weight!!!!!! I have gained some weight since my OW last summer - so things are a little more snug this spring. I am also working on losing some pounds 'under' the weight belt - not an easy task - but I'm in it for the long haul (recently started the Weight Wathcer 1-2-3 program with my wife. Adkins has worked for me in the past - but I just couldn't seem to maintain it the last two times I tried). Once again - congrats - and keep at it!

I too have recently lost some weight. Luckily I dive with a backplate/harness/ and wing so all Ihad to do was adjust my harness a bit.

Have you thought of going to this style?

Step one is to get it CLEAN!, then invest in a box of industrial single edge razor blades.

One cut, one blade, discard blade, or degrease it. ANY grese on the cut surface, including finger oils, will have a significant effect on the strength of the bond.

Most wetusit material takes glue really well, and if you are still "shrinking" it makes sense not to spend too many $s getting the seams sewn. Properly bonded and taped they'll hold about as well as a profesionally sewn one.

FT

YOu mean you are not running out to buy a whole new wardrobe to celebrate?? I'd be sqeezing into the teeniest little wetsuit I could find (maybe in yellow or some other fashionable color.) Then I'd wear it to work in case nobody noticed the "new me!"

Seriously, Margaret, tell us how you did it! I'm just about ready for the mania of a new weight loss plan. (Would beat the mania of hunting for plus-size gear for the rest of eternity.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom