Lost at Sea...........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fpsndiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
NORMANNIA Incident

On June 4, 2004, my buddy and I found ourselves lost at sea. It is painful and embarrassing to tell this story, but I do it because I learned a great deal that day. I hope that by sharing the story that others may also learn without experiencing. What caused this incident was entirely of our own making. We basically had to do a free decompression ascent with no anchor line, because our anchor wasn't where we left it. 45 minutes after leaving the wreck, we surfaced, and no boat in sight 42 nm offshore.....and it was getting dark. I was still on my 15 ft. stop when my buddy popped the surface above me. I saw him spin around 360 degrees above me and throw out his arms in frustration. I popped the surface, and said,
"Crowder we are *****d". My buddy had noticed the same shark I did while we were on our 30 foot stop and reminded me by responding, "Yeah, when is feeding time." I tied into my buddy's rig with my Jon line so we would stay together....I figured 2 divers would be easier to spot than 1......that way we were a bigger needle in the haystack. We started inflating safety sausages, blowing whistles, and trying to stay on top of the water as much as we could. I was already cold, shivering, when I surfaced. I figured that we would be spending the night out there waiting for the Coastees to arrive, and Jeff and I tried to keep our spirits up. We were actually laughing at stuff that in hindsight was not very funny. We were telling jokes and stuff. Before the dive, I had offered Jeff one of the sandwiches I made. We were out there floatin around awhile, and Jeff breaks the silence with, "I wish I would have eaten that *******in sandwich now." We laughed. The seas were running 3-4 feet, and the wind was howling. The safety sausages were just being bent in half, and weren't doing any good, so I stuffed it under my knees to help float my legs. We were beginning to discuss cutting our tanks loose to gain more bouyancy (not ditch our rigs, just the tanks-- steel doubles). Fortunately for us, 2 other experienced divers(My brother and Scott Corbett) were on Jeff's boat, and finally realized that something was amiss, and came looking for us. After we had been up for 2.5 hours,they found us, and got us back on terra boata. When the accident happened, I had the following: lift bag(lost it during the dive could have used it to mark our position on the surface while we were decompressing),reels, dive lights 2, strobes 2, whistle, and safety sausage. My dive buddy actually had 3 waterproof aerial flares, which we shot 2. None of that stuff helped them find us, the GPS on the boat and good seamanship is what found us......but if they didn't find us, and we had to rely on the Coast Guard at night................when I got home, I bought a lot more equipment....and it is all very compact and goes with me on every dive. I simply attach the kit to my wing.

My kit contains:

Signal Mirror
Aerial Flares (waterproof)6 buy them at any boat store and we have had them 140fsw and tested them and they still worked, but they don't have any guarantees.
2 Strobes (Makes the aerial search at night a lot more plausible for the Coastees)
Flashlights (that is how the C-130 found a diver recently off Frying Pan Shoals, they saw his dive light.)
2 Safety sausages they work well for added bouyancy, but tend to lay over in the wind like we had that day.
Dive Alert (in case you are close enough to your boat) Whistles wear you out blowing on them for 2 hours.......and the Dive Alert uses what ever is left of your gas.....
Dye Marker 2 tubes (one green and one orange)
I wear a bigger wing with more lift capacity to get me as far out of the water as I can.

I am still waiting on EPIRB prices to go down. I don't need the submersible one, I figure I can stuff the normal one into my camera housing. I have a portable VHF radio I could stuff in my camera housing too, but what can I really tell anyone that is listening........I am passing under the earth's sun....now.

Before going on a dive, I file a float plan with my wife..It has the equipment I carry listed, the color of my suit (black), and our anticipated time of arrival back at the docks, our boat's description, our destination for the day, and any alternative destination. My wife is instructed to call the Coast Guard if she doesn't hear from me by the anticipated time.

The biggest thing we do now to correct the mistake that led to this whole fiasco....is to change the way we anchor to the wrecks.....to tie in. The problem this day....on the shipwreck Normannia in Southeastern North Carolina.......was the hook was just left there in the wreckage.......big mistake. There is always that risk when diving, of being sent adrift on a sea not so full of bliss, but it is the diving that draws us back. We can do our best to prepare for the worst, but we must also do our best to not have to use all of that stuff we carry for that Oh S*** situation. When I go out on charters, and see divers with just a BC and Regs, no lights, no knives, no signals, I am frustrated and concerned. I hope that all divers who venture offshore will make an emergency signal kit, and carry it on every offshore dive. The kits are small and can fit into a pocket. Just because it is a day dive, you should still carry lights for emergencies and those unforseen oh S**** situations.

Hope this helps someone to realize they need to be safer, because I thought I was ready for anything......until June 4, 2004.

Tom

Great post! Thanks for it.

Well, I guess I'll start working on my oh s**** safety kit. (Hey that rhymes!)

How big are the aerial flares and the dye markers? Where do you get them?

What kind of strobes? Not the little night dive ones, I assume.

I already carry most of the other stuff. I actually carry two whistles: one is a dog whistle for high freqs (calm seas), and the other is a tornado whistle (storms). This was on advice of an Acme tech in England.

wow... what an experience

very glad it all worked out, and thanks for sharing the story and the lessons

Wow!!! Glad you're okay. My wife and I had a somewhat similar experience but nothing nearly so intense. Not nearly as frightning but I can feel the stress you must have been under.

We already had the sausages but we've added the dive alerts to our survival kits. Now you've got me thinking about the flares and strobes.

Again, I'm glad you and your friend are okay.

I would imagine if you were flying somewhere the flares would not be allowed to go.....right? I ve been curious of that when I saw some in a boat shop the other day.

rpodos:
How big are the aerial flares and the dye markers? Where do you get them?

What kind of strobes? Not the little night dive ones, I assume.

I have included pictures of part of my kit. There are pics of the flares and dyemarkers with my hand for size reference. The Strobes I use are Princeton Tech White Strobes. They flash 60 times a minute, and are supposed to be visible from 10 miles in the air. Remember that the Coastee helicopters are equipped with Forward Looking Infrared Night pod (flir). The strobes will blind whoever is looking through the scope from quite a distance away....flares too. Flashlights too for that matter. I did not take a picture of the signal mirror, hopefully everyone knows what that looks like. The flares are "waterproof" Orion Skyblazers....and I bought them at Boater's World. Any marine warehouse will have them. My buddy had been taking the "waterproof" flares on dives for years to see if they would hold up to bottom pressure. Of the 6 he had, only 2 failed, and they failed because the string trigger broke, not because they were flooded. The new skyblazers use chain instead of string. So they should hold up better. The guy in the store said that Orion would not guarantee the functionality of these flares after Diving with them......but like I said, we have been diving with them down to 140 fsw, and they still work. We get new ones each year, so we shoot the old ones on the 4th of July.....on land.......to "test them". Like I said, there were only 2 failures out of the 6 we tested, and those were the old ones. The dye marker is in a container sold by OMS (Ocean Management Systems), and I bought that from Leisurepro.

No, they definitely won't let you bring the flares on a plane, but usually there are marinas and marina stores at your dive destination. You could buy them there, and then donate them to the dive boat when you are done :icosm02: ......I hope this is additionally helpful to those interested.

Um, just so I understand, the extended and retracted flares are the same thing?

When I dive warm water, I use a *really* low profile BCD, and want to make sure everything fits comfortably into my emergency pocket.

I don;t know why PADI or NAUI, or the LDS's, don't strongly encourage this approach to safety. Heck, I make a point of discussing this pre-dive with my regular dive buddy (my wife) or new ones if I'm traveling solo, including the DM if I'm free-ranging.

Thanks again for the post, fpsndiver!

:chuckle: "Open Water"

:lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom