Lost camera off of Jupiter, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mscott556

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Olympus E-PM1, Olympus housing, YS-D1s. Lost sometime while floating on the surface after diving capt kurls (think that's the name). Please let me know if anyone hears anything. 561-318-1548

Crazy day today...on the bright side, the Nautilus Lifeline is awesome.

Edit: Drifted over Loggerhead Reef too.

$$$ reward

Last edited:
Olympus E-PM1, Olympus housing, YS-D1s. Lost sometime while floating on the surface after diving capt kurls (think that's the name). Please let me know if anyone hears anything. 561-318-1548

Crazy day today...on the bright side, the Nautilus Lifeline is awesome.

Hope it comes home to you. We are diving out of WPB this weekend but it was a south bound current where we were today so if we head to some of the northern sites, I'll keep a lookout for it. How buoyant was your setup.

Sounds like there might be an interesting story to go along with this...?

yeah let's hear the story.

(sorry about your rig....I am cleaning the house this weekend otherwise I would keep an eye out.)

First dive was a shark dive and we had a great hammerhead, silky sharks and a sandbar shark. Second dive there wasn't much to see and when another guy and I came up, we saw the boat in the distance picking up another group. They couldn't see our SMBs (6ft) so I tried hailing them on the Nautilus. The boat couldn't understand what I was saying so I tried channel 16. The Coast Guard responded to the call and tried to get a fix on our position. I gave them the coordinates on the radio and they relayed that info to the boats in the area but they still couldn't find us. Coast Guard Lake Worth launched a boat as did Jupiter PD. During this time, the waves were picking up and it started raining pretty hard. I hit the distress button on the Nautilus and the Coast Guard confirmed they had our exact spot mapped out. It was Jupiter PD that got to us first though and they guided our boat in. We were drifting for about an hour and a half.

I can't believe the camera came unhooked. I usually hold on to it but between the radio and the SMB I had to clip it off. When I got back to the boat, the rope was still clipped to the BC but the camera was gone.
9473555495_0b0f0275cc.jpg

Rat-man,
plug in your Nautilus to your PC and download the waypoints for when you hit the button to call. All those locations should be downloadable from your unit. This will give you a track of your drift and potential search area for your camera. Good luck, I lost my GoPro out of Hillsboro a few weeks ago myself.

First dive was a shark dive and we had a great hammerhead, silky sharks and a sandbar shark. Second dive there wasn't much to see and when another guy and I came up, we saw the boat in the distance picking up another group. They couldn't see our SMBs (6ft) so I tried hailing them on the Nautilus. The boat couldn't understand what I was saying so I tried channel 16. The Coast Guard responded to the call and tried to get a fix on our position. I gave them the coordinates on the radio and they relayed that info to the boats in the area but they still couldn't find us. Coast Guard Lake Worth launched a boat as did Jupiter PD. During this time, the waves were picking up and it started raining pretty hard. I hit the distress button on the Nautilus and the Coast Guard confirmed they had our exact spot mapped out. It was Jupiter PD that got to us first though and they guided our boat in. We were drifting for about an hour and a half.

I can't believe the camera came unhooked. I usually hold on to it but between the radio and the SMB I had to clip it off. When I got back to the boat, the rope was still clipped to the BC but the camera was gone.
9473555495_0b0f0275cc.jpg

What a day. Glad it (mostly) turned out well. I'd say that Nautilus has already paid for itself!

Thanks for the story. Bummer about the camera. Good point about looking for it down south with the south currents. I don't have a Nautilus Lifeline but thought about getting one because you never know. I have a friend who sent 4 back due to flooding. I wonder if this is a common issue or he was just unlucky. It's a dreaded feeling being "left at sea." I did the Ultimate Getaway in May and forgot to reattach my SMB to my gear from the previous dive. I got separated from Husband and ended up surfacing far from the boat. I was only on the surface for 25 minutes but got a little panicky when the boat started heading in the opposite direction. Turns out I WAS spotted and he was picking up other divers. I did the same trip again in July and attached a spare just in case. Dry Tortugas are FAR from land!! Hope you get the camera back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom