Lost diver rescued - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999

Missing diver found alive off coast of Englewood

ENGLEWOOD, Fla. (WFLA) — A missing diver was found alive off the coast of Englewood on Thursday afternoon.

The Sarasota Police Department said it worked with the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office and the U.S. Coast Guard to rescue the diver.

Sarasota police said the man started diving about 7 miles off the shore of Englewood and was found about 3 miles offshore.

A video the police department shared shows several boats surrounding the area where the diver was found. A helicopter was also seen assisting the search.

Coast Guard officials said the diver was returned to his boat with two others. The Coast Guard said it also helped stop a vessel from taking on water.

Saw this come through on my FB feed last night.

I do wish they would provide more information regarding how the diver was rescued. Did the diver have a VHF, PLB, etc.? Just as others can learn from incidents with a less positive outcome, we can learn from rescues as well.

BTW, perhaps a minor correction in the article above. According to the post I saw from US CG Southeast, the vessel that they helped to stop from taking on water was the vessel that the diver was diving off of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom