Lost gear @ Redondo Beach 9/24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radinator

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My LA County ADP class was doing rescue skills at Redondo Beach Saturday evening, and as happens in a beach rescue class in surf, some gear was lost - mostly because it was carefully placed on the bottom of the dive float anchor line and the float was subsequently pulled to another location by someone. Night, surge, and crappy vis wrote the rest of this story.

So, the missing gear:

2 weight belts with soft weights (mine had #12, don't know about the other)
1 XL Jet fin (no spring strap, just the standard rubber one)

I know my weight belt was placed on the bottom in 10' of water almost straight out from the stairs (the tide at the time was +4.6 ft and falling). The other was more to the north (closer to the pier). The fin disappeared in the surf zone.

I'd appreciate hearing of any gear discoveries to reunite divers and their toys. :D

We'll keep a look out.

If your lucky, maybe someone will tie them to the huge pile of crap that someone keeps building on near the 30' sand anchor. Last time I checked: scubaboard mug, pair of pants, hat & and other misc garbage...oh yah, tethered to some blue poly floating rope. They are doing a good job at making a mess.

I thought I saw someone post in Divebums.com mailing list they found 1 fin and a weight belt. Do you have access to the email list?

BrianS:
I thought I saw someone post in Divebums.com mailing list they found 1 fin and a weight belt. Do you have access to the email list?
That was a fin and weight pouch found at La Jolla Shores. Redondo Canyon has a well deserved reputation for being an eater of Jetfins. I know of at least 15 lost there, including four of mine with only one recovered so far. I'm sure somewhere deep in the canyon Mother Nature is making her own junk pile, er, I mean Monument Reef with Jetfins, weightbelts and masks. :D

how deep is the redondo canyon? i know at the shores there is areas where thing tend to collect, lets go find some fins!

Add a snorkel to that list, lost in the surf zone while we were looking for the jet fin.

Ray, you never got your weight belt? I thought we were looking for Adin's.

California Diver:
how deep is the redondo canyon? i know at the shores there is areas where thing tend to collect, lets go find some fins!
There are places that reach 4500 feet. It's very different than LJS. The surface swim is much shorter. :D
There are no real walls nearshore nor clay. There are a few 45 degree dropoffs, but after you get to 65 feet it is a gentle slope down and a long swim to get to any serious depth. The animal life is about the same, although not as many nudis in Redondo and I've never seen a Wolfeel there. Trash collects along the bottom of the dropoff and is home to octopus, fringeheads, flatfish, sheepcrabs, cuskeels and pipefish. The canyon comes alive during squid runs.
Most of the deep diving in L.A./Orange County is done from a boat, and there are millions of places to dive deep from a boat! The area between San Pedro and Huntington Beach is littered with wrecks from less than 100 feet to well below 200.

mccabejc:
Add a snorkel to that list, lost in the surf zone while we were looking for the jet fin.

Ray, you never got your weight belt? I thought we were looking for Adin's.

Shoot, I forgot, we also lost a weight pocket for integrated weights.

So the total

2 soft weight belts
1 integrated weight pocket with soft weights
1 snorkel
1 XL jet fin

It was a hell of a day at the beach!

pasley:
http://diver.net/ross/GIS/index.htm then click on Redondo this will show you the Redondo Canyon with a special thanks to Ross-O

Wow, that's some good stuff. Though I did notice one historical error regarding the discovery of Headhunter Reef at Marineland...

For the record, the reef was discovered by our own Christian, aka Headhunter, at approximately 1:30pm on February 6, 2005, when we were searching for a reef straight out from Pebble Beach. Christian, using his handheld depth finder, was pinging ahead of us when the sonar showed a structure nearby. We swam over and there was the platform. Since stuff is usually named for the discoverer, I named it Headhunter Reef. From my discussions with other divers, even those outside Scubaboard, it seems like other versions of the story have taken over in the local diving community.

But them's the facts, ma'am.

Here's the original dive report describing the discovery (see post #23):

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=86205

Back
Top Bottom