Lost last knife.. What do you think about these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My last knife fell out of the casing so I am replacing it.

It was this one.
http://www.joediveramerica.com/scubagear/prods/30401.html
It was mounted on my hose that went from my 1st stage to my computer. I am thinking that the flex in that hose caused it to come loose. Maybe not.

I want a small titanium one that will mount on that hose or somewhere on my bc. The knive is actually for my girl and she dives with a scubapro ladyhawk. Does anyone have any first hand experience with the two knives below?

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate..._0/Filter_2=148:3=145:5=149/BLRKCT.html?Hit=1

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...escSort_0/Filter_2=148:5=149/BLRKM.html?Hit=1

I don't have any first hand experience with those, but I personally wouldn't buy either. What I want from a dive knife is an inexpensive device that will let me cut line in an emergency. I use a broad bladed steak knife with the tip filed off. If I lose it, I'll make another just like it for about $3, but I've had mine for a couple of years now with no problems.

Why anyone would spend over 10 times that for an easy-to-lose titanium blade is beyond me. It's not a bike race... spending the extra on Ti won't make the dive better. Any securely mounted blade will do, so long as it's sharp.

av8er23:
you have a good point but i do not want a rusty blade after a couple dives.
Get good quality stainless, and take care of your gear. I still have the knife I started with 20 years ago, and while it does have a few mild tarnish spots, there isn't any rust on it after being used on over 100 dives. I still take it along once in a while if I think I'll want a blade with a point (for flounder hunting, for example).

av8er23:
Lost last knife.. What do you think about these?

Looks like the next knife you're going to lose.

Knives are the single "most lost" piece of gear.

What will your primary type of diving be. Wreck, cave, rec. Many different types and styles available with different uses. Personally I like a knife that can be removed and replaced in the sheath with one hand. There are many quality manufactures that fit the bill. Wenoka, Kershaw, Gerber are some of my favorites.

When selecting a knife.. do you guys prefer a blunt tip or a pointed tip?

Buy a cheap pocket knife. Rinse it after every dive. Rinse your knife during your surface interval. Dive knives are throw away items. I do have a titanium knife - I found it on a dive. I don't dive with it. I dive with my cheap throw away pocket knife.

I use a small Wenoka Blunt Tip Squeeze lock like this
I lost my first knife
I carry this one on my HP hose. In over 200 dives I haven't lost it yet. I've never had an entagement problem carrying it there.

In Scuba, knives are used more for digging or prying than they are for cutting. Therefore I prefer the blunt tip. I also carry shears.

Shears for me and a UK remora on my hose (the blunt with the serrated blade usually or the dagger for spearfishing days) and a little one on my BP/W strap opposite from my hose side. You could tie me up in a straight jacket and I could reach a cutting edge. BTW, the blunt end is good for spinning the needle back on your analog depth guage (secondary to my computer)

Back
Top Bottom