Lost my Speargun (Broward-FL), Lesson Learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JetDiverFL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everybody. Just want to share my story.

I have about 200 dives on my belt so far, but I dont consider myself an expert diver!

It can happen to anyone and it happened with me for the 1st time!!

I finally started to speargun hunt while Scuba diving here in Florida. But in my honest opinion I think I was looking like a robocop in the water, I had my Lobster Hotel, I have my lobster snare, I have the Flag and the Speargun with me.

My buddy and I went both to Hunt. I was using my Brand New, Never used Pneumatic speargun and I let my buddy use my other JBL Rifle gun.

I should had listen to my instincts that when something start wrong the end results could be worst. but I didnt!

I had trouble loading the pnemumatic gun, and carrying everything else. but past that fact, I lost the Loader somehow, got all mad @ 80Ft down, swimming against a current and when my buddy signal to me that he had 500psi left and said he was going up, I decided to stay, since I use 130cf tanks and I still have a long time to stay, I gave him a signal that I want to switch guns, so I gave my pneumatic and took my rifle. so I am diving by myself now, carrying everything with me and looking for fishes, anyway to the fact, I was not paying attention to my Flag / Reel and now my computer start to beep showing that I had 800psi left, so I stayed until I had 500. When I finally decided to go up , I looked to the reel and was A MESS, somehow all the line got tangled on the reel, so I tried to fix, I put the loop of the gun on my wrist and decided to give a try, at this point I was at 45ft., so I am working on the reel and putting line here and there and my computer is beeping and I cant fix, so I decided to start to manually retrieve the line and than I realize that I am going up and up, so I reach to my deflation hose and press it because I was at 18ft and going up, so I manage to come back to 24. at this point I had some much line around me, I am all tangled, from the fins to the arms, tanks and only about 200cf of air at 20ft. no big on the air but I am all tangled and than realize that the guns is no longer in my hand, than I got really Mad, took my knife (thanks God always carry at least 2) and start to cut everything from the reel, fins, at this point my Safety stop was over, I surfaced and I thought about going after my gun, but I only had less than 200 of air, no Flag, so I decide of course NOT too. The boat came pick me up and I told them to mark the spot on the GPS, to maybe sometime this week come back for Gear Hunt!!

My point on all this, do not carry too much stuff on you, specially by yourself!!, and I guess, always have a buddy with you !!!!

But if anyone decide to go dive at the Sun Kiss Reef in the Light House Point Area (Florida) and find a speargun please contact me!!! Reward Available :)

Christian

Christian, thank you for posting about your experience. I am glad that you got a good reminder about the importance of diving with a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom