Low on air done right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you consider this a failure? I consider this a normal dive. I mean, from what you describe, you didn't have to swim back on the bottom, right? It sounds like you could have always surfaced and swum back on the surface. So, in my book, I don't see anything wrong with this profile. Once one member of the team runs out of gas the team surfaces and swims back to the shore.

Yes, Neres that's correct. That means the other half of all scuba fatalities are by experienced divers...

I believe the other half, on the experienced end, are usually extremely experienced, such as cave dives, shipwreck penetrations, and CCR dives. These are not "intermediate" divers. There are also a fair amount of old-age fatalities, such as heart attack victims on scuba, presumably due to overexertion. There are also a fair amount of fatalities that fall into the "left behind by the cattle boat" category, and also quite a few in the "dangerous beach entry" group.

Thallassamania has better access and experience to these statistics than I do.

While a lot of these comments are highly entertaining, they are ... to say the least ... also highly misleading ...

Tank sizes should be about the same, whereas you had a huge disparity.

And you also failed to check his gauge, knowing that he would run OOA before you did.
Tank sizes need not be the same. What's important is having an idea what a person's consumption rate is before the dive, and planning your depth and time limits accordingly. With newer divers, that's difficult to figure out because they don't have enough data to work with.

As for checking his gauge, it is a good idea to ask a new diver their air pressure frequently ... every few minutes at least. You then compare it to your own consumption. That will give you a basis for comparison. After taking two or three data points, you will be able to estimate at any given time what their tank pressure is likely going to be before you even ask.

It is common for me to check my buddy's SPG, normally half way though the dive.
What good will that do you? Suppose halfway through the dive you check your buddy's SPG and they've used up 80% of their available gas supply? Isn't that a little late to be checking? Checks should be made from the beginning of the dive, and periodically as the dive progresses. What you're doing is establishing a comparison of their rate and yours.

All the major training agencies teach that.
NO they don't.

A pony is normally a tool for solo diving. And normally you would want a really big pony bottle, like a 30 or a 40 cu ft. A small pony does you little good.
Nonsense ... a pony is a redundant air source. It's appropriate for pretty much any recreational diving. And like all pieces of gear it has advantages and drawbacks. If you're going to carry one, you need to know what those are, and use the tool appropriately.

As for size ... how much reserve air you will need depends on both your consumption rate and planned dive profile. For some dives, a smaller bottle will be all you'll need. For deeper dives, a larger bottle may be a more appropriate choice.

You would "normally" [well trained divers would] turn the dive when the first person reaches 1/2 of your SPG starting pressure.
More nonsense. When you turn the dive depends entirely on your planned dive profile. In a simple out and back profile, you can divide by two ... but only after factoring in both your planned reserve (500 psi) and how much you will need for a safety stop. Otherwise, you're planning on ending the dive with an empty tank.

Since most people don't do simple out and back dives, it becomes a little (but not much) more complex than that. Consider that you'll generally consume about as much getting back as you used going out. Let's say that's 700 psi. Add your reserve (500 psi) and what you will need for a safety stop (let's say 200 psi for example) ... and your turn pressure is the sum of all of those (in this case, 1400 psi).

Turn pressure will ALWAYS depend on both your profile and gas consumption rate. Also don't forget to factor in conditions, such as current, that will affect your consumption rate. This is one of the reasons why we teach new divers to dive against the current first ... so that they will use less air riding the current coming back.

You would also normally communicate to each other when you each reached your 1/2-way point.
What if one reached the 1/2-way point much faster? What if that person got distracted and forgot to notice?

You communicate with each other more frequently than that ... starting before you begin the dive by establishing who's got the most gas. The person with the least is likely to be the person controlling the turn. Then, once you begin the dive, check with each other every few minutes. Compare your dive buddy's consumption to yours. If he's going through gas faster than you are, then you KNOW that you don't want to wait till you hit turn pressure ... your buddy then has not only their own awareness to rely on, but yours to remind them if you think they might be getting close.

And by the time you were at 500 psi you would all be on your safety stop.
No ... by the time you are at 500 psi you should be on the surface..

Wearing different sized tanks was the first error.
Irrelevent.

Having a 3-man CF was the second.
A 3-person team can be managed easily and successfully if you know how. Where a lot of people get into trouble is not understanding what it takes. It starts by defining positions ... who's going to be in the middle, and which side each of the other two divers will be on. As the dive progresses, each diver is responsible for being where they are supposed to be. It makes keeping track of each other much simpler. It does increase task-loading, as you now have to keep an eye on both of your team mates. But with a little practice this isn't any more difficult than managing a 2-person team. It's not advisable for newer divers because it takes a higher level of awareness and communication skills than a 2-person team ... and that usually comes with practice. But under properly managed circumstances (a shallower, easier dive plan) it's a great way to help develop those skills. You have to be committed to the notion of diving as a team, however, as opposed to three people being in the water together in roughly the same place.

Half of all scuba fatalities are by novices.
Well, this might have something to do with the ratio of novices to experienced divers overall.

If you and I are about the same size, and the same gender, and our tanks are the same size, then we are going to use up about the same amount of air/nitrox at about the same rate.
Not necessarily ... there are a lot of factors that go into how much air a person is going to consume. Relative size is just one of those factors. A person's physical condition, stress level, fatigue level, and skill level are also major contributors. I'm a pretty big person, and often use less air than a lot of people half my size.

It is better to have a plan that automatically takes care of these limitations, rather than a plan that requires a lot of special procedures. The acronym for this is KISS.
It's better, still, to gain some knowledge that will help you make a plan that works for all of the divers involved. One doesn't need special procedures ... they just need to understand the basics of gas management, and apply those basics to their dive plan.

It is also better to be diving with a person of same skill set as yourself, rather than have a major disparity. Beginner with intermediate is the worst combination.

Beginners ideally dive with other beginners, or else with instructors or divemasters.

Intermediate divers best dive with each other.

Tanks of the same size place the same time constraints on everyone, and then you do not need to make any special considerations.
I have no idea what you're talking about ... and I doubt you do either. Mentors are, have always been, and will always be, the backbone of scuba learning. The best thing a new diver can possibly do is hook up with a more experienced diver and go log some bottom time. You'll learn things that rarely, if ever, get covered in a class ... and things you'll never learn from another novice diver.

Well, somewhere in the training process, it did not sink in, about checking your buddy's SPG often.

And somewhere in the training process, there was no warning given or heeded about 3 person groups rather than 2 person buddy pairs. Note that the regular 2 person pair in this incident did extremely well. It was the odd man out that suffered a near miss, again, as usual.

A lot of beginners die each year on scuba, presumably because they relied on someone incapable of being a reliable buddy. And that is really sad.

Red flags concerning tank sizes were ignored.

After you have been diving 10 or 20 years, you spot clues easily.
Unless, of course, you are clueless to begin with ... :shakehead:

To the OP ... you will see a link in my signature to my web site. If you go there and click on the Articles tab, you will find an article on gas management. You will find other articles on aspects of buddy diving. Please feel free to copy these articles (there's a link at the end of each that will let you print a PDF file), read them, and share them with your dive buddies. It may help you avoid situations like this in the future.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

First you said:

It is common for me to check my buddy's SPG, normally half way though the dive.

All the major training agencies teach that.

(which was very wrong)

Then you said:

Who knows? Maybe PADI does not require it????:rofl3:

I think you should stick to improving your own dive knowlege instead of tring to lecture others.

Acting as a cyberdiver guru is not working out well for you.

Well I am indeed certain that you are wrong specifically about NAUI, SSI, and PADI.

I have witnessed each of those teach it myself.

You just had a NAUI instructor state you are wrong on this. As an SSI instructor, I can say you are wrong in regards to SSI.

Agencies don't teach courses, instructors do. Just because you witnessed an instructor teaching it, doesn't make it a universal reality.

Since you are so certain this is an agency standard, perhaps you could cite an official source for this certainty?

While a lot of these comments are highly entertaining, they are ... to say the least ... also highly misleading ...

Tank sizes need not be the same. What's important is having an idea what a person's consumption rate is before the dive, and planning your depth and time limits accordingly. With newer divers, that's difficult to figure out because they don't have enough data to work with.

As for checking his gauge, it is a good idea to ask a new diver their air pressure frequently ... every few minutes at least. You then compare it to your own consumption. That will give you a basis for comparison. After taking two or three data points, you will be able to estimate at any given time what their tank pressure is likely going to be before you even ask.

What good will that do you? Suppose halfway through the dive you check your buddy's SPG and they've used up 80% of their available gas supply? Isn't that a little late to be checking? Checks should be made from the beginning of the dive, and periodically as the dive progresses. What you're doing is establishing a comparison of their rate and yours.

NO they don't.

Nonsense ... a pony is a redundant air source. It's appropriate for pretty much any recreational diving. And like all pieces of gear it has advantages and drawbacks. If you're going to carry one, you need to know what those are, and use the tool appropriately.

As for size ... how much reserve air you will need depends on both your consumption rate and planned dive profile. For some dives, a smaller bottle will be all you'll need. For deeper dives, a larger bottle may be a more appropriate choice.

More nonsense. When you turn the dive depends entirely on your planned dive profile. In a simple out and back profile, you can divide by two ... but only after factoring in both your planned reserve (500 psi) and how much you will need for a safety stop. Otherwise, you're planning on ending the dive with an empty tank.

Since most people don't do simple out and back dives, it becomes a little (but not much) more complex than that. Consider that you'll generally consume about as much getting back as you used going out. Let's say that's 700 psi. Add your reserve (500 psi) and what you will need for a safety stop (let's say 200 psi for example) ... and your turn pressure is the sum of all of those (in this case, 1400 psi).

Turn pressure will ALWAYS depend on both your profile and gas consumption rate. Also don't forget to factor in conditions, such as current, that will affect your consumption rate. This is one of the reasons why we teach new divers to dive against the current first ... so that they will use less air riding the current coming back.

What if one reached the 1/2-way point much faster? What if that person got distracted and forgot to notice?

You communicate with each other more frequently than that ... starting before you begin the dive by establishing who's got the most gas. The person with the least is likely to be the person controlling the turn. Then, once you begin the dive, check with each other every few minutes. Compare your dive buddy's consumption to yours. If he's going through gas faster than you are, then you KNOW that you don't want to wait till you hit turn pressure ... your buddy then has not only their own awareness to rely on, but yours to remind them if you think they might be getting close.

No ... by the time you are at 500 psi you should be on the surface..

Irrelevent.

A 3-person team can be managed easily and successfully if you know how. Where a lot of people get into trouble is not understanding what it takes. It starts by defining positions ... who's going to be in the middle, and which side each of the other two divers will be on. As the dive progresses, each diver is responsible for being where they are supposed to be. It makes keeping track of each other much simpler. It does increase task-loading, as you now have to keep an eye on both of your team mates. But with a little practice this isn't any more difficult than managing a 2-person team. It's not advisable for newer divers because it takes a higher level of awareness and communication skills than a 2-person team ... and that usually comes with practice. But under properly managed circumstances (a shallower, easier dive plan) it's a great way to help develop those skills. You have to be committed to the notion of diving as a team, however, as opposed to three people being in the water together in roughly the same place.

Well, this might have something to do with the ratio of novices to experienced divers overall.

Not necessarily ... there are a lot of factors that go into how much air a person is going to consume. Relative size is just one of those factors. A person's physical condition, stress level, fatigue level, and skill level are also major contributors. I'm a pretty big person, and often use less air than a lot of people half my size.

It's better, still, to gain some knowledge that will help you make a plan that works for all of the divers involved. One doesn't need special procedures ... they just need to understand the basics of gas management, and apply those basics to their dive plan.

I have no idea what you're talking about ... and I doubt you do either. Mentors are, have always been, and will always be, the backbone of scuba learning. The best thing a new diver can possibly do is hook up with a more experienced diver and go log some bottom time. You'll learn things that rarely, if ever, get covered in a class ... and things you'll never learn from another novice diver.

Unless, of course, you are clueless to begin with ... :shakehead:

To the OP ... you will see a link in my signature to my web site. If you go there and click on the Articles tab, you will find an article on gas management. You will find other articles on aspects of buddy diving. Please feel free to copy these articles (there's a link at the end of each that will let you print a PDF file), read them, and share them with your dive buddies. It may help you avoid situations like this in the future.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good advice, NWGD. If the O/P takes my advice then he will certainly take yours also.:)

Good advice, NWGD. If the O/P takes my advice then he will certainly take yours also.:)
Taking your advice is exactly what worries me. I don't know if this is all a game to you ... or if you honestly believe the things you write. But I'd hate to think that some inexperienced diver is going to take your advice seriously and end up hurting themselves.

FWIW - I am a NAUI instructor, and nowhere in NAUI's curriculum will you find them advising someone to check their buddy's gauge halfway through the dive. That's bad advice, and poor technique. It leaves gaping holes in what should be a straightforward air management approach, and because of that it could land you in trouble when one or both of you end up with too little air to safely ascend or return to your exit ... keep in mind that LOA's happen far more frequently than OOA's, but can be just as dangerous to deal with because they increase the potential for making bad decisions. It is for that reason that I believe that no agency teaches this approach. What they DO teach is that you should monitor your air supply regularly ... checking every few minutes ... and also communicate with your buddy so that you know what they have too.

From the sounds of it, this is what the OP did ... and as you can see, it still leaves you open to situations that, while they can be dealt with, lead to stress. And underwater, stress is not our friend.

What I would LIKE to see the agencies ... all of them ... do a better job with is teaching people proper gas management skills. Shift the thinking from how much you have at the end to how much you have at the beginning. Ingrain consumption rates on students from the beginning, rather than in follow-on classes (if ever), and give them the tools to do proper dive planning. That way they don't have to react to their SPG ... they can be proactive, and do the dive they planned to do knowing they have enough gas ... because they thought about it ahead of getting in the water.

Giving people "clues" isn't helping them ... you have to explain why this stuff matters, and how to do it. Going off on tangents about using similar size tanks, avoiding 3-person buddy teams, and not diving with dissimilar experience levels doesn't address the problem ... it just confuses the issue (not to mention I think your views on those subjects are just plain silly).

I wish you safe diving, nereas ... but I wouldn't wish your advice on anyone who comes here with an honest desire to improve their own diving knowledge ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Taking your advice is exactly what worries me. I don't know if this is all a game to you ... or if you honestly believe the things you write. But I'd hate to think that some inexperienced diver is going to take your advice seriously and end up hurting themselves.

FWIW - I am a NAUI instructor, and nowhere in NAUI's curriculum will you find them advising someone to check their buddy's gauge halfway through the dive. That's bad advice, and poor technique. It leaves gaping holes in what should be a straightforward air management approach, and because of that it could land you in trouble when one or both of you end up with too little air to safely ascend or return to your exit ... keep in mind that LOA's happen far more frequently than OOA's, but can be just as dangerous to deal with because they increase the potential for making bad decisions. It is for that reason that I believe that no agency teaches this approach. What they DO teach is that you should monitor your air supply regularly ... checking every few minutes ... and also communicate with your buddy so that you know what they have too.

From the sounds of it, this is what the OP did ... and as you can see, it still leaves you open to situations that, while they can be dealt with, lead to stress. And underwater, stress is not our friend.

What I would LIKE to see the agencies ... all of them ... do a better job with is teaching people proper gas management skills. Shift the thinking from how much you have at the end to how much you have at the beginning. Ingrain consumption rates on students from the beginning, rather than in follow-on classes (if ever), and give them the tools to do proper dive planning. That way they don't have to react to their SPG ... they can be proactive, and do the dive they planned to do knowing they have enough gas ... because they thought about it ahead of getting in the water.

Giving people "clues" isn't helping them ... you have to explain why this stuff matters, and how to do it. Going off on tangents about using similar size tanks, avoiding 3-person buddy teams, and not diving with dissimilar experience levels doesn't address the problem ... it just confuses the issue (not to mention I think your views on those subjects are just plain silly).

I wish you safe diving, nereas ... but I wouldn't wish your advice on anyone who comes here with an honest desire to improve their own diving knowledge ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGD, if you look in the student manual for OW1, you will indeed see what it says. And that is what I have tried to encourage here.

Your rhetorical devices have been a combo of red herring & strawman, sort of like saying "the sun is not yellow it is yellow." Nice try, though.

I hope the O/P in his next dive will heed all the advice given.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom