Low Pressure and High Pressure scuba tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcosdutra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I wonder to know what type of tank (HP or LP) is the better to use and which has best performance when in use :confused:

More info is needed. What buoyancy characteristics to you need? Are good HP fills available in your area?

Personally I love LP tanks for the weight (cold water diver) and plus I can pack gas in them when needed (a set of double 95s can hold 250 ft3 of gas).

I just sold the only set of HP tanks that I had. All my tanks are LP now, although the shops would fill them 3500 they tend not to bother topping them off once they cool down so I always found the pressure being 3200-3300, yes you can always ask them to top up but after a while you get tired.

Although they seems to be easy with pumping LPs to 3000- 3100 , they usually have the cut off valve set to 3100 for the aluminums and they often do not check - they once pumped 3000 into my 72s.

So we now have all out tanks being either ALuminums or LPs,

Overfilled LP tanks really depend on whether you have a shop willing to do it. If not, I would go HP.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

It also depends on if the gas supplier can pump to high pressure. If you are going to gas blend for yourself and do not own a compressor or Haskel then the LP cylinders can be helpful. If you are buying you want something that you can carry, has the correct trim, and can be reused as your diving progresses. As an example a standard aluminum 80 can be used as a stage or deco bottle if you move up to twins at some point. Good luck.

I wonder to know what type of tank (HP or LP) is the better to use and which has best performance when in use :confused:

Your best answer depends on a lot of personal / local factors that have been mentioned. Overfills are a regional luxury for lack of a better term so be careful in taking such comments to heart.

As a container HP is the most efficient in terms of getting weight off your feet. You need to compare the interaction of the empty buoyancy and filled weight specifications to understand the weight of the cylinder and the cylinders effect on your required lead.

In use there will not be any real pneumatic difference. The closest thing I can relate to is length. At 5-9 I love my HP80 cylinders. Some taller divers will find them to be too short and difficult to trim out.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom