Question Low profile drysuit exhaust valve that doesn't have a hard stop at open / close?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryebrye

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I replaced my dump valve with a low profile apex one - I did this a while ago but finally got to test it out yesterday.

When I was doing the normal pre-dive check on it, I turned it all the way open - but instead of stopping when it was all the way opened it just sort of clicked and I could keep spinning it. Same when I turned it the other way to close it all the way down - I'd feel a click but I could still keep turning it once it was clicked. After a full turn in the same direction I'd feel the click again.

I could dump air by pushing it or when it was open it seemed to let il air out so I didn't fuss with it much.

I'm just double checking: is this the way those valves are designed? My older high profile one would have a noticable stopping point that it wouldn't open or close past.

I have never had one that didn't have a stop at the limits. At least the full open limit. Don't think I have ever used the full closed limit

The high profile is largely a better design and valve. That said, even that one will spin indefinitely if the top twist section isn’t aligned properly. My guess is that during assembly, the “stopping tab” (if you disassemble, there’s a nub along one part of the top cover that does the stopping) was installed on the wrong side of the opposing piece on the base of the valve. I think there was a disassembly video on YouTube at one point, or perhaps @buddhasummer has the manual as a pdf,

FWIW I followed a YT video on disassembling a sitech high profile dump and broke it, I attempted to unscrew it beyond its stopping point and snapped something resulting in it not stopping when screwing/unscrewing.

Back
Top Bottom